Student Blogging: Jessica Tommaselli

It has been an eye-opening experience, becoming part of the educational team at my internship.

It feels like just yesterday when I was merely a student, objectively looking at my teachers and deciding what type of person they were. After going through the UNH program, I have realized that there is so much more to the teaching profession than the media or the general understanding could possibly describe. I remember when I decided to take on this profession. My step-father said: “It’ll be easy – you only have to work 180 days out of the year, and then you have the summers off to do whatever you want!” With this thought in mind, I charged towards my internship, expecting there to be some difficulties but I certainly thought that teaching would be a piece of cake.

I could not have been more wrong.

There are so many facets to the teaching profession that teachers seem to hide from their students. The long hours and paperwork that need to be compiled and disseminated. The ever-changing and numerous ways in which teachers contact parents. The talks with guidance counselors to better understand the students. The professional development where we wrack our brains, trying to come up with new and exciting ways to teach. The days spent changing curriculum to match the changing standards that make way like marching orders from a general. They are nervous before starting a lesson – even ones that they have done a million times. They sit and think: “How can I have done this better?” One of the best things to hear is that extended “Oh!” when a student gets it. Or when a student thanks you for teaching them that day. Or when you finally got that one student to smile. Moments like these are what make teaching worthwhile.