These tabs contain important information about the entrance requirements and application process for the Master's in Education - Teacher Certification Program. Please read through this information thoroughly.
Entrance Requirements and Application Process
All candidates must have:
- An undergraduate degree and a minimum of 39 General Education credits
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.7. Only grades of “ C” or better will be accepted for all courses. For those applicants whose GPA is less than 2.7, there is a GPA Waiver Policy and Application
- Passed Praxis I or have waiver letter based on SAT, ACT, or GRE scores
- Registered for Praxis II/ACTFL in their respective areas.
- The registration form must be sent to the Certification Officer (LKessler@newhaven.edu) to initially satisfy this requirement.
- THE PRAXIS II/ACTFL EXAM MUST BE PASSED PRIOR TO YOUR APPLICATION FOR STUDENT TEACHING.
- For more information on tests and test dates, please see the following links:
Elementary (K-6) candidates must specifically have:
- An undergraduate degree in a content field
- 39 general education requirements that include 2 English, 2 mathematics, 2 natural sciences including 1 with a lab, 2 social sciences, 1 U.S. History, 1 Fine Arts and 1 Foreign Language which may be satisfied with high school transcript proof of three years of same language study
Secondary candidates must specifically have:
- An undergraduate degree in area of desired certification or 30 credits in a content area + 9 credits in no more than 3 related areas
- 39 general education requirements that include 2 English, 1 mathematics, 1 natural science, 1 social science, 1 U.S. History, 1 Fine Arts and 1 Foreign Language which may be satisfied with high school transcript proof of three years of same language study; specific course requirements in desired area of certification. Please see attached: Requirements/competencies (PDF).
Students may begin the program with two or fewer outstanding undergraduate prerequisites. Compliance with admission requirements, including prerequisites will be determined after a review of transcripts by Linda Kessler,, the UNH Certification Officer.
If you have questions concerning requirements or pre-requisites please contact: Linda Kessler, LKessler@newhaven.edu.
Application Process and Materials
IF YOU DECIDE TO APPLY, YOU WILL NEED TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Complete a University Graduate Application ($75 application fee waived, if completed online).
- Upload or include hard copy of current resume.
- Obtain and include two letters of recommendation from non-family members that address your suitability for the education profession, and that describes your character and ability to be successful in the teaching profession.
- Request to have sent official transcripts from ALL undergraduate schools attended.
- Obtain and include official high school transcripts to indicate three years foreign language (if necessary).
- Obtain and include Praxis I score report or Waiver letter.
- Secondary candidates: Obtain and include Praxis II score report or evidence of registration test date.
- All documents should be submitted to:
OFFICE OF GRADUATE ADMISSIONS
University of New Haven
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT 06516
- June 1, 2015 for the Fall 2015 Term
If you have general admissions/applications questions, please contact: Katie Morris at email@example.com.
Questions?If you have questions about the Master’s in Education Program please contact: Donna Leake at firstname.lastname@example.org