Cellular & Molecular Biology Student Success

Just a sampling of our great students

Heather PascualHeather

After defending her thesis, The effect of supplemental Folic Acid on EGFR expression and cell growth in HPV negative cervical cancer, in October 2014, Heather Pascual graduated with a M.S in Cellular and Molecular Biology with a certification in Bioinformatics. She is currently working for the Molecular Neuropharmacology Section at the National Institute of Health as a lab manager for a variety of studies investigating the molecular, cellular and biochemical properties of dopamine receptors and their role in neuronal signaling.  Her individual study at this time includes developing mutants for Dopamine-2 and Dopamine-3 receptors and analyze their relation to previously studied drug compounds to access affinity and specificity.

Amy RattelleAmy Rattelle

Amy was a 2011 graduate of the Cellular and Molecular Biology Graduate Program. With particular interest in bacterial biofilm formation. She joined Dr. Eva Sapi’s Lyme Disease Research Group as a Research Assistant. During this time she was able to complete a research project examining the in vitro growth requirements forBorrelia burgdorferi biofilm. After graduating, she was employed at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center investigating molecular markers for osteoporosis. With the knowledge gained through the CMBI program and the experience from Dr. Sapi’s lab, she was able to obtain a position at Advanced Laboratory Services, Inc., where she had a duel position analyzing clinical samples in a novel diagnostic culture system for Lyme Disease and researching methods to expand the company’s testing panel. In the fall of 2014 she moved to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute working under Dr. Jessica Panzer in the Neurology lab, where she performs independent research as well as acting as a lab manager.

Maria Jacintha VictoriaMaria Jacintha Victoria

I graduated from UNH in May 2014 with a Master’s in Cell and Molecular Biology. Graduate school is lot different from undergraduate college. Initially everything which seemed like challenges later turned out to be opportunities for success. The program was well designed to improve our foresight on the field of study. At the end of my first trimester, I was offered a TA position in the undergraduate biochemistry laboratory courses where I developed strong teaching skills. At UNH, I did research under Dr. Eva Sapi in the Lyme disease lab, where, I studied the additive effect of sugars and enzymes with antibiotics on Borrelia biofilms. The research skills and experience obtained under the guidance of Dr. Eva Sapi helped me reach out for a lab assistant position at IGeneX, a clinical lab which offers tests for detection of Lyme and associated tick borne diseases. Presently, as part of the PCR team, apart from documentation, I perform PCR and dot blots for clinical samples.

Priyanka TheophilusPriyanka

Priyanka graduated from UNH in 2014 with an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology. She worked in Dr. Eva Sapi’s Lyme disease research group looking for novel antimicrobial agents against the morphological forms of Borrelia burgdorferi. She presented part of her research at the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) held at Boston in 2012 and San Diego in 2013 and also in the graduate students showcase hosted by The University of New Haven in 2012 and 2013. In April 2014, she was awarded a postgraduate research position in the Lyme disease research lab continuing her work on the effectiveness of antimicrobial agents on Borrelia biofilms. She is also developing new and sensitive techniques to quantitate the different morphological forms of Borrelia after antimicrobial treatment.  Her aspiration is to cultivate research and greatly contribute to the field of microbiology, especially Lyme disease.

Seema PatelSeema Patel

Seema graduated from University of New Haven with an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology in 2010. At UNH she worked as Research Assistant under Dr. Michael Rossi and Dr. Eva Sapi. Her research with the Lyme disease research group looked for mycoplasma co-infections in the Ixodes scapularis ticks collected from southern Connecticut. She presented the work at a poster presentation session at Lyme Disease Symposium in 2010. After graduation Ms. Patel  joined a developmental and molecular biology research lab at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston learning about role of the BMP signaling pathway in development of various tissues in a Drosophila melanogaster model. After three months she moved with the same lab to University of Nevada in Las Vegas. Seema is currently working in a Molecular Biology research lab at UNLV doing studies on Age Related Macular Degenerative disease (AMD). Recently,she was accepted into a  Ph.D. program for 2014 Fall at Center of Immunology and Microbial Diseases in Albany Medical Center, NY. 

Kristin BovatKristin Bovat

Kristin graduated from UNH in 2008 with an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology. At UNH she worked in Dr. Eva Sapi’s Lyme disease research group. While completing her degree, she was a research assistant at Yale University School of Medicine in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences where she studied the role of soluble epidermal growth factor receptor isoforms in regulating ligand availability and receptor activation. She also investigated polymerase beta and thymine DNA-glycosylase, and their role in the base excision repair pathway in the Department of Therapeutic Radiology. Transitioning from the academic setting into biotechnology, she worked for two small startup companies gaining experience in proteomics development and high throughput screening.  Wanting exposure to the pharmaceutical industry setting, she joined the Antibody Recovery & Screening team in the Biotherapeutics Department at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceutical Company in 2013. Her current work focuses on hybridoma and B cell technology for the use of recovery of a highly diverse set of antibodies for therapeutic models.

Natalia in labNatalia J. Sumi

Natalia received her M.S. degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology from University of New Haven where she worked as a Research Assistant in the Cancer research group as well as a teaching assistant for the protein biochemistry laboratory course. She also completed a thesis project with Dr. Michael Rossi investigating the role of FOXO3 in inducing apoptosis in breast cancer cells after treatment of MG-132 in combination with Doxorubicin. To gain more experience in cancer research, she joined a team at Yale University as post graduate, where she learned new techniques and had the opportunity to work with drug screening and in vivo models in mice to determinate efficacy of new chemotherapies and study recurrence disease. To become specialized in cancer research, Natalia enrolled in the Ph.D. program in Cancer Biology at USF/Moffitt Cancer Center for the fall 2014.

Akshita DatarAkshita Datar

Akshita received her M.S. degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology from University of New Haven where she worked with Dr. Eva Sapi as a Research Assistant in the Lyme disease research group as well as a teaching assistant for her undergraduate cellular biology laboratory course. Her Master’s thesis “Testing the in vitro effectiveness of medicinal herbal extracts and metal nanoparticles on Borrelia burgdorferi” was published in July 2010. To gain more academic experience post graduation, she joined a team at Yale University, School of Medicine where she got opportunity to work on several projects involving proteomics and molecular biology doing translational research with clinical specimens and in vivo animal survival studies on mice. Extending her interest in Lyme disease research and gaining industry experience, she joined as a Research Assistant at Advanced Laboratory Services, Inc., a clinical lab offering a novel blood culture test for detecting the presence of Borrelia. Besides handling and processing the clinical specimens she is also involved in the research department at this laboratory working on several projects which would expand the testing panel.

Navroop K. DhaliwalNavroop

Navroop graduated from UNH in January 2011 with an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology. While attending UNH she was able to work as research and teaching assistant. She completed her research project as a part of the Lyme Disease Research Group with Dr. Eva Sapi. Navroop examined the in vitro susceptibility of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative organism of Lyme disease to antibiotics. She contributed to three scientific journal publications and poster presentation opportunities at International conferences. As teaching assistant for cellular culture techniques with Dr. Michael Rossi she polished her cell and tissue culture skills. Starting September 2012 Navroop joined the Ph.D. program in the Department of Cell and Systems Biology at the University of Toronto, Canada. She is currently studying dynamic changes in genome folding and transcriptional regulation of KLF4 as the mouse embryonic stem cells begin to exit pluripotency.

Junning HuangJunning Huang

Jun received an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology from University of New Haven in May of 2012. While at UNH, she worked as a teaching assistant in the undergraduate cellular biology lab course. She also completed a research project with Dr. Michael Rossi investigating the role of MDM2, FOXO3A, p53 and phospho-p53 in colon cancer cells treated with anti-cancer drugs 5-FU and Etoposide. Junning entered the Ph.D. program in the Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Department at Wesleyan University in September 2012.

Stephanie M. JohansenStephanie Johansen

Stephanie was a double major in Biology (Pre-Med concentration) and Forensic Science as an undergraduate at UNH graduating in 2006. Stephanie worked as a Clinical Virologist at both the VA Medical Center and at Yale New Haven Hospital while earning an M.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology with a certificate in Bioinformatics at UNH in 2013 A poster presentation from her work at the VA is available here. This August she will be entering a  Ph.D. program at LSU Health Science Center in New Orleans studying Microbiology, Immunology, and Parasitology. She expects to study vaccine development and treatments for tropical diseases and viruses.

Namrata PabbatiNamrata Pabbati

Namrata completed her master program in Cellular and Molecular Biology from the University of New Haven in Jan 2011 with the thesis project “Novel filarial infections in Ixodes scapularis ticks collected from southern Connecticut.” She has presented her research work in the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society conferences Oct, 2009 and Oct. 2010. The experience and knowledge of Lyme and Associated Diseases gained under the supervision of Dr. Eva Sapi helped her obtain a position of Clinical Research Manager at Advanced Laboratory Services where she is involved in developing a blood culture test for Lyme causing bacteria. She is currently involved in refining culture techniques and developing new tests for Lyme and associated diseases.

Pushpa RaoPushpa Rao

Pushpa says "The milestone of my graduate education in United States commenced from the University of New Haven, West Haven, CT." She graduated in 2008 with a M.S.in Cellular and Molecular Biology. While at UNH, she worked in Dr. Eva Sapi's Lyme Disease Research group, completing a project entitled Comparison of the Effects of NanoSilver and Penicillin on the viability and morphology of Borrelia burgdorferi. In addition, she helped to the standardize protocol to culture the motile forms of B. burgdorferi and also initiated the research project on cyst forms of B. burgdorferi. Pushpa also acquired teaching experience working as a teaching assistant in the mammalian cell culture lab under the guidance of Dr. Michael Rossi. After graduation, she started to work at the Department of Defense, Bethesda, MD as a Research Assistant, followed by time at the University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT. She will be starting to work on her Ph.D. Thesis project in the fall 2013, entitled ‘The Role of T-cells in HSV Immunity & Immunopathology’ at the Oakland University, Michigan.

Venkata Arun TimmarajuArun Timmaraju

Arun is a second year graduate student in the cellular and molecular biology graduate program, he is presently working on his thesis project on the role of integrins in cancer stem cells using two dimensional and three dimensional cell culture models of lung cancer. He persented part of his work in a poster at the 2013 SIVB Symposium. Previously, he has also been a teaching assistant for the graduate cellular and molecular biology laboratory courses.

Victoria Lyn UhlhornVictoria Uhlhorn

Victoria graduated from UNH in May of 2013 with a M.S. degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology. She completed a research project which showed the T47D breast cancer cell line was not an appropriate cell model to analyze metastases via 2D suspension culture. As of August 2013 she will begin her Ph.D. at the New York Medical College in the Interdisciplinary Basic Medical Science program. Attending UNH helped prepare her intellectually and mentally for acceptance into a Ph.D. program after being out of school for 3 years.