Environmental Science

Coordinator: Roman N. Zajac, Professor
of Biology and Environmental Science, Ph.D., University of Connecticut

As an interdisciplinary program encompassing courses in ecology, geology, chemistry, environmental education, and law, the Master of Science in Environmental Science provides students with the advanced skills and knowledge to meet the increasing demands worldwide for scientists with strong environmental backgrounds.

A program grounded firmly in the University’s commitment to experiential education, the M.S. in Environmental Science program provides students with extensive hands-on learning opportunities both inside and outside of the classroom. Our shoreline location allows students to gain experience working in a variety of settings along the marsh and ocean areas of Long Island Sound — experiences that are complemented by work in our laboratories. Students also have the unique opportunity to study at the Gerace Research Centre on San Salvador Island in the Bahamas. With studies in environmental ecology, environmental education, environmental geoscience, environmental health and management, geographical information systems, and other topics, the program allows students to customize their education to their individual career interests.

As a required component of the program, students complete a research project, thesis, or internship. These experiences have led our students to fulfilling careers in private environmental firms, government agencies, and more. Many students have also chosen to pursue doctoral study at other institutions following graduation.

Certificate in Geographical Information Systems

This 12-credit program provides you with knowledge of basic and advanced GIS techniques, developing procedures, and databases for specific applications as well as technologies and analyses supporting GIS.

1. Similar Programs

If you are interested in Environmental Science, you may also want to find out more about our Graduate Cellular & Molecular program.

Find Us On