Environmental Science Student Success

Environmental Science Graduate Students Present Thesis Work

Shannon Penna and Jaymie Frederick presented posters highlighting their thesis work at the Fall 2013 UNH Graduate Student Showcase. Shannon is developing sea floor habitat models for Long Island Sound (Poster Link) and Jaymie is conducting research on the effects of crab herbivory on Connecticut salt marshes with her poster "Impacts of the purple marsh crab, Sesarma reticulatum, on Long Island Sound salt marshes." (Poster Link)

Shannon on the boat

Shannon Penna

Shannon Penna, a student in the graduate Environmental Science Program, has received an Okeanos Explorer Mapping Internship, a program that is administered with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) via the The Joint Office for Science Support (JOSS) of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).  The internship provides her the opportunity for to participate in a 3 week ocean exploration mission aboard the NOAAS Okeanos Explorer (known as “America’s ship for ocean exploration” see (http://www.moc.noaa.gov/oe/).  Ms. Penna will be involved with seafloor mapping work and other deep-water exploration the Okeanos will be doing in the Gulf of Mexico between mid-March and early April.  She is currently working on her thesis “Mapping and Characterizing Seafloor Habitats in the Stratford Shoal Region of Long Island Sound,”  that will provide a critical habitat mapping framework for a large-scale project being conducted in Long Island Sound by the University of New Haven in collaboration with several other universities and government agencies.  She is pictured below on one of the research cruises she and other UNH students have participated in for the Long Island Sound mapping and ecological characterization project.

For more information see: http://longislandsoundstudy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SoundUpdate_SeafloorMapping.pdf

Deshawn McGregor

Deshawn McGregor

Deshawn McGregor graduated with his M.S. in Environmental Science in 2012, having earned his B.S. from UNH previously. Deshawn immediately got a job with Baha Mar, a major resort development company, in their environmental department.

He was featured in a company video available by following this link.