The University of New Haven offers tremendous opportunities for prospective students who want to study art. The following information will help you decide which of our programs fits your needs.
B.A. in ArtUNH campus in West Haven, CT
- A comprehensive art degree with courses in multiple disciplines with an emphasis on contemporary practices and techniques in painting, drawing, sculpture, and digital media.
- Studying at our main campus in West Haven offers campus life including activities such as clubs and sports, as well as proximity to urban culture with museums, music, and theater of New Haven, New York, and Boston.
- The ability to intern with our on-campus gallery or local art sites, which offers a connection to working contemporary artists and learning the ropes of gallery installation, administration, and art handling.
- The degree for you if you are looking for a flexible curriculum that provides opportunities for minors, double majors, and exploring the rich academic offerings at the University of New Haven. For instance, if you are a marine biology student, minoring in Photography offers a unique opportunity to document your work. Other common double majors include English, Music, Psychology, and Forensic Science.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, CT
- It’s program-specific: You earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, Drawing, Illustration or Sculpture. There's also a three-year certificate and a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Painting and Sculpture.
- Complete immersion in the art experience, in an idyllic setting. Access to UNH's resources and campus life, as well as the cultural centers of New York and Boston, add dimension to the overall college experience.
- The degree for you if you are interested in immersive studies in specific disciplines.
The B.F.A., strongly focused on the discipline you choose, completely immerses you in the art experience — easy to do in pastoral Old Lyme, a magnet for famous impressionists and the birthplace of a thriving art colony. The B.A. in Art in West Haven opens up your curricular options and gives you the traditional college experience, with all of its extra-curricular activities.