Biology & Environmental Sciences Department Student Success Stories

Recent Student Success Stories of our Wonderful Undergraduate Students
Samantha in the lab

Samantha Roy

Samantha graduated with a B.S in both biotechnology and forensic biology with a minor in chemistry in the spring of 2013. During her time at UNH, Sam was a teacher’s assistant for both molecular biology and biochemistry. She spent two years interning and collaborating in the Biochemistry Department at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station in New Haven, CT where she was able to gain experience as a research assistant. In the fall of 2013, Sam moved to Denver, Colorado where she was hired as a Professional Research Assistant at the University of Colorado’s Anschutz Medical Campus. Sam is currently doing proteomics research in the Skagg’s School of Pharmacy.

Kristen Maylott

Kristen Maylott

Kristen graduated Magna Cum Laude in 2010 with a B.S. in  Biology (Biochemistry) and Forensic Science and minors in chemistry and criminal justice. While at UNH, Kristen was a member of SMILE (Students Making an Impact on their Living Environment), a representative to the Undergraduate Student Government Association and a member of the Forensic Science and Chemistry Club. Kristen completed internships with the Connecticut United for Research Excellence's BioBus and Pfizer. On the BioBus she visited 26 Connecticut schools and taught basic molecular laboratory techniques including electrophoresis, ELISA and PCR to 4th through 12th grade students. She also developed many of the protocols used on the BioBus. After graduation, Kristen relocated to Colorado where she has been employed as a research associate by Luca Technologies and SomaLogic. Kristen will be attending  medical school at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences starting in the fall of 2014.

Brittany N. Wienclaw

Brittany is a double major in biology and in forensic science. She was able to perform her internship at the Brookhaven Laboratories (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140408112117.htm). Her internship also resulted in a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/04/04/1322045111.abstract).

Female student in a scientific lab

Christina Kling

Christina Kling is a senior at the University of New Haven majoring in biotechnology and biochemistry and a John Hatfield Scholar. She has completed two SURF projects, one on mycobacteriophage and the second on Lyme disease, which is also the focus of her honor's thesis research. She has mentored students at the Sound School, and has worked as a lab assistant for the Molecular Biology course for two semesters and as a lab and lecture assistant for the Chemistry Department for three years. She will be presenting at the Northeast Regional Honors Council Conference in April and has been accepted into Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences for fall 2014. She plans to pursue a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences and ultimately wants to do medical research for unmet medical needs. Christina also participated in an event where students reflected on the importance of scholarship and thanked donors. 

Julie Huston's school photo

Julie Huston

Ms. Huston, a marine biology major, was accepted to attend the American Educational Research Association conference as part of a student fellowship. She is working with Judy Randi (Department of Education) to develop and test a middle school curriculum centered on marine pollution for her senior thesis research.

Female student with an "ocean in a bag" Two children playing with a seal out of water

Alexis Hudson

Alexis Hudson, a senior Marine Biology major has been an intern at The Maritime Aquarium for the past three years. Now, Alexis is conducting a study on self-recongition by harbor seals at the Aquarium for her Senior Thesis. See more at: http://www.maritimeaquarium.org/blog/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-the-fairest-seal-of-all/

Female student in a scientific lab

Lauren M. Paolella

Lauren Paolella graduated with a B.S. in Biology, a B.S. in Forensic Science and a minor in Chemistry. In her senior year, she worked as an intern, and after graduation as a Research Assistant, at Yale University and VA hospital in the Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Laboratory. In February, she was accepted into the University of Pennsylvania for the Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Ph.D. program starting in the fall of 2014.

Female student in business casual attire

Amber Bonds

A member of the Honors Program graduated with a double major in biology and forensic science, she will begin a Ph.D. program at SUNY Stony Brook this fall. Amber will conduct research on neurodegenerative diseases, with a focus on Alzheimer’s disease. As a student at UNH, she studied abroad in Spain and conducted hands-on molecular biology research.

Male student with UNH ice sculpture

Derrick Chelikowsky

A marine biology major, he traveled to Washington, D.C., where he presented cutting-edge research to members of Congress about the development of the bay scallop. His findings are critically important to the multi-million dollar shell fishing industry in Connecticut. After graduation, he is continuing to work at the National Marine Fisheries Service Lab in Milford, CT in collaboration with a researcher from Syracuse University and a team from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration.

Female student in scientific lab

Molly Lorenz

A double major in Biology and Forensic Science with a minor in chemistry, she is participating in a summer internship at Gilead Sciences in Branford, CT. In May 2014, she is expected to graduate from University of New Haven, and is pursuing medical school for the fall of 2014. In the past summers, she has participated in research at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Yale University. During her time at UNH, Molly has worked as a laboratory assistant for the Biology & Environmental Sciences and the Chemistry & Chemical Engineering departments.

Male student standing behind a microscope in a lab

Bryan Neumann

A triple major in biology, biotechnology, and forensic science with a minor in chemistry, he will be participating in a summer internship at Gilead Sciences in Branford, CT. In August, he will begin his studies in the molecular and cellular biology Ph.D. program at Dartmouth College conducting research in genetics and the biochemistry of cancer biology. While at UNH, Bryan worked extensively as a laboratory assistant for biology courses and conducted SURF and independent research on the effects of exemestane on two-dimensional and three-dimensional breast cancer cell cultures.

Male student holding a basin of small fish

Michael Smircich

The co-recipient of this year’s Herbert F. Wright Outstanding Biology Student Award, Michael has been accepted into the graduate program at the University of Connecticut.  He has accepted a full time graduate assistantship in the lab of Eric Schultz, where he will be conducting an analysis of the diet and condition of early-stage fishes over a time series in order to assess the impact of zebra mussel invasion. In addition, Michael will be presenting his research thesis on the effects of internal tag size on fish at the Southern New England American Fisheries Society 2013 Summer meeting.