Clubs and Organizations

UNH students are involved with a capital “I.” With over 170 clubs and activities on campus, it’s easy to join and make a contribution. Communication students also have special opportunities to connect with like-minded people and practice their networking skills.

Our instructors have served as editors or associate editors of more than a half-dozen of the top-tier scholarly journals in the communication field, receiving national and international recognition for their work. All of them have practical experience in their specialty and continue to engage in research, staying on top of trends and publishing their findings.As one of their students, you’ll have the opportunity to join the same professional organizations that your instructors belong to.

Professional Organizations

• The American Film Institute
  • The Association for Educational Journalism and Mass Communication
  • The Broadcast Education Association
  • The Eastern Communication Association
  • The International Communication Association
  • The International Listening Association
  • The National Academy of Cable Programming
  • The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • The National Association of College Broadcasters
  • The National Communication Association
  • The National Federation of Local Cable Programming
  • The Organization for the Study of Communication, Language, and Gender
  • The Public Relations Society of America
  • The World Communication Association

Student Organizations

The Charger Bulletin - The Charger Bulletin is an excellent opportunity to further your journalistic writing. It has been the official student newspaper of UNH since 1938. Reporting local news and campus events, our staff writers work hard every week to provide coverage. With our great staff, writers, and photographers, The Charger Bulletin continues to be something that the University community enjoys and remains the first place students look for news. In addition to producing weekly issues, we produce a web version of the newspaper with daily updates to further educate the UNH and local community about living green instead of printing more issues throughout the week. This is a great opportunity, particularly for students who are in our journalism track, to gain real-life experience that will enhance their career options after graduation.

CommClub - The purpose of the Communication Club is to bring creativity to the campus as a whole. The club provides media coverage to other student clubs and organizations that enlist our services as well as an opportunity to obtain experience in all aspects of the media. Past projects include video documentation of events and video creation and editing for promotional purposes. The Communication Club brings guests and hosts events that involve the media to advertise specific clubs on campus. 

Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society - The Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society recognizes outstanding scholastic achievement in communication and encourages involvement in communication-based research and services for the University of New Haven campus and the community. Lambda Pi Eta is the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA), with more than 400 active chapters at four year colleges and universities worldwide. Lambda Pi Eta represents what Aristotle described in The Rhetoric as three ingredients of persuasion: logos (Lambda), meaning logic; pathos (Pi), relating to emotion; and ethos (Eta), defined as character credibility and ethics. The Honor Society recognizes, fosters, and rewards outstanding scholastic achievement while stimulating interest in the communication discipline.