Spring 2016 Featured Courses

UNH English Upper-level Courses for Spring 2016
Unless otherwise indicated, the only prerequisite is ENGL 1110 (formerly E110) Composition and Literature.

ENGL 2202 (01) Modern World Literature—Dr. Pamela K. Asmus—MW 10:50-12:05
Separated by race, social class, and an ocean, two young women struggle to come to terms with the tragic consequences of their childhood fabrications.  In Nigeria, twin sisters are face a harrowing civil war while in an Arab state, four women try to find a way to navigate cultural and religious restrictions and find their own voices.  And an Australian doctor is haunted by an early love affair and his years as a POW, and a Columbian man spends years dreaming of reuniting with his first love.  These are some of the conflicts which shape the narrative we will study as we embark on a literary world tour.  (CC 1.2,5.2,5.3, or 6; literature requirement for the English major or minor; English literature elective; free elective)

ENGL 2220 (01) Writing for Business & Industry—Dr. Jenna Sheffield—MW 3:05-4:20  (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 2267 (01): Introduction to Creative Writing—Dr. Randall Horton—MW 4:30-5:45
(English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 3315 (01) Production Dramaturgy—Dr. Meg Savilonis—TR 12:15-1:30
(cross-listed as THEA 3315)
The job of the dramaturg is multi-faceted and flexible. In this course, students will learn about the various roles a dramaturg can play, from serving as a literary manager to working as part of a team (along with directors, designers, and performers) on productions of plays, from classics to works in development. Students will have hands-on experience, engaging in dramaturgical practice in relation to the University Theatre Program’s Spring 2016 production of William Shakespeare’s As You Like It and crafting individual and group projects. Texts include scripts by William Shakespeare, Anne Washburn, Lynn Nottage, Carlo Goldoni, Richard Bean, and others. (English writing elective, Theater elective, or free elective)

ENGL 3341 (01) Shakespeare—Dr. Edward Geisweidt—TR 9:25-10:40
In “Non-normative Desire in Shakespeare,” we will focus on dramatic iterations of desire that does not lead to the ostensibly happy marital couple that is so often the telos of Shakespearean comedy. Taking our cues from theorists including René Girard, Judith Butler, and Sara Ahmed, we will study the (in)directions desire takes, and the classed, raced, gendered, and multiplied paths that direct the desiring subject to the desired object. Examples of non-normative desire in Shakespeare’s plays and poems include homoerotic, interracial, trans-species, incestuous, and triangulated attraction. Of particular interest will be the way that non-normative desire counters the intentions and desires of the state or governing institution. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 3355 (01) Advanced Fiction Workshop—Dr. Chris Dowd—TR 3:05-4:20
Prerequisite: ENGL 2267 or consent of department. Advanced exercises and instruction in writing fiction. Composing, critiquing, and editing skills developed in workshop format. Students will read fiction by contemporary authors and experiment with various narrative techniques in their own writing. The focus of the course will be on the students’ writing and revision of their own fiction. Students interested in writing in a specific literary genre (e.g., crime fiction, science fiction, horror) will have the opportunity to do so. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 3392 (01) "A Blackness, Ten Times Black": Poe, Hawthorne, & Melville—Prof. Wes Davis—MW 9:25-10:40
It was this "blackness...ten times black" that Herman Melville saw in the writings of Nathaniel Hawthorne and displayed in the works of Edgar Allan Poe that characterizes the Gothic strain of classic American literature. Probably our three most famous literary symbols are Poe's black Raven, Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter, and Melville's great white whale, Moby-Dick--a narrative poem, a psychological novel, and a philosophical epic. The shared themes of a secret sin, the effect of the past upon the present, dreamscapes, tortured minds, haunted souls, obsessive love, strange eccentric characters, Poe's "unity of effect," Hawthorne's "power of blackness," and Melville's "isolato" characters "each living on a separate continent of his own"—are examined in the poems, essays, stories, and novels of these three brooding geniuses. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4483 (01S): Literature of Social Change—Dr. Diane Russo—TR 10:50-12:05
Be a change-maker! This course invites you to examine the work of social change using literature that captures and provides the stimulus for social transformation. To witness the real work of change, you will volunteer at a non-profit organization that has the explicit mission of changing the lives of the community members being served. The volunteer service will consist of 20-25 hours over the semester and will be reflected upon in graded writing assignments and class discussions.  (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4486 (01) Fantastic Fiction: Genre Games—Prof. Richard Farrell—MW 1:40-2:55
The course explores the “weird” and/or “alternative” work of novelists who bend, break, and blend the conventions of science/crime/historical and other genres of fiction—and even of academic writing in fields like history, political science, and technology. Among the writers: Philip K. Dick, José Saramago, Jonathan Lethem, Haruki Murakami, China Miéville, and Margaret Atwood. The results are a wild ride. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4491 (01) Special Topics: Digital Editing—Dr. Mary Isbell—TR 1:40-2:55
This course will introduce you to the principles and practices of digital scholarly editing, an exciting area of activity that underpins humanities projects like The Early Caribbean Digital Archive (, The Willa Cather Archive (, and the Papers of Abraham Lincoln ( The best way to learn about scholarly editing is to edit a text for publication; after an introduction to the techniques of scholarly editing, you will select a short text to edit for publication online. The text you choose to edit can be anything: a vintage comic book, family letters, an original composition like a short story or collection of poems, an archival document (The course will include an optional field trip to peruse the extensive collections at Yale’s Beinecke library), etc. Successful completion of this course will provide students with a digital edition and experience sufficient to demonstrate their editorial skills to potential employers. Please note that this course does not require any prior experience with markup languages. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 4484 (01H) Special Topics Honors: Monsters, Magic, and National Myths in the English and Celtic Worlds—Dr. Chris Dowd—TR 12:15-1:30 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
For several centuries, English and Irish literature has overflowed with magic, monsters, ghosts, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural elements. The “fantastic” elements of this literature pervade English and Irish culture to this day and have shaped national identities in profound ways. Yet, English and Irish cultural identities are also often seen to be in conflict with each other, sometimes even perceived as opposites. This course seeks to explore how “fantastic” literature has shaped the two countries in very different ways and how the magic and monsters in these stories help define each country’s national identity. For England, it has connected the modern world to a heroic past; for Ireland, it has carved out a post-colonial gothic space to resist cultural fragmentation. Examined in the course are English writers including Spenser, Mallory, Shakespeare, Tennyson, Byron, Coleridge, Carroll, Rowling and other texts building upon Arthurian legend. Also included are Irish works by Maturin, Stoker, LeFanu, Yeats, Wilde, F.J. O’Brien, Carleton, Bowen, and selections of Irish language folklore (read in translation). This course will be taught in an inter-institutional format that connects the UNH class with a class at Kansas Wesleyan University for class sessions and projects. (CC 1.2, 5.2, or 6; literature requirement in the English major or minor; English literature elective; or free elective)

ENGL 4485 (01H) Special Topics Honors: The Figure of Jesus: Verbal and Visual Representations Across Two Millennia—Prof. Richard Farrell and Prof. Martin O’Connor—TR 1:40-2:55 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
Representations of Jesus, whether textual or visual, have varied widely from the start. The variations depend on, among other things, the cultural situation of the beholders and the lenses they use: theology, philosophy, political science, literature, art, and so forth. The course will examine some of the earliest relevant texts, including canonical and apocryphal and heretical ones—since all were familiar to and argued over by the first “Christians.” We will next consider medieval and Islamic ideas and iconography and then move to some Early Modern (or Renaissance) versions. We will conclude with a sampler of modern and contemporary variants. Our emphasis is on the complexity and fluidity of appropriations of a figure often considered simple and fixed. (CC 1.2, 5.2, or 6, ENGL 3365, English literature elective, or free elective)