Fall 2014 Featured Courses

UNH English Upper-level Courses for Fall 2014
Unless otherwise indicated, the only prerequisite is ENGL 1110 (formerly E110) Composition and Literature.

ENGL 2213 (01): Early American Writers: The Development of an American Identity—Dr. Pamela K. Asmus—MW 9:25-10:40
Through our study of Colonial and early American writers, we will explore the formation of a national identity as we analyze the social and intellectual climates that shaped these writers’ responses to the land and its people.  We will also study the works of writers marginalized by race and or gender who responded to and frequently criticized the dominant ideology. (CC 1.2 or 6; required English majors)

ENGL 2220 (01): Writing for Business & Industry—Dr. Diane Russo—online
If you want to communicate like an insider and be empowered in your workplace, this course is for you.  You will learn to read organizational culture and use rhetorical strategies to produce documents that get results.  You will prepare documents ranging from the seemingly ordinary email message to the business report with an awareness of their acceptable formats as well as the values that motivate individuals to help you and your organization meet its goals.  (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 2260 (01): Short Story—Dr. David E. E. Sloane—TR 12:15-1:30
American comic short stories, horror from Edgar Allan Poe, and special choices for dramatic reading, close analysis, and the psychology of reader response figure in a student-centered immersion in short fiction. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2267 (01): Creative Writing I—Dr. Randall Horton—W 6:30-9:10 p.m.
This course offers an introduction to the study and practice of creative writing. Students will study the craft of writing in multiple genres (fiction, nonfiction, drama, poetry) with an eye towards developing an ability to read like a writer. Students will also practice the craft themselves with an aim of producing an end-of-semester portfolio of creative work. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 2268 (01): Creative Writing II—TR 3:05-4:20
Advanced exercises in writing short fiction and poetry. Composing, critiquing, and editing skills refined in workshop format. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 2270 (01): Advanced Essay Workshop: The Art of the Review Essay—Dr. Mary Isbell—MW 3:05-4:20
In this course, students will compose a series of essays reviewing events in the New Haven area. Students will learn the conventions of reviewing by reading a diverse sampling of review essays (from film reviews in The New Yorker to ironic product reviews on Amazon) and experimenting with a variety of critical personae. As a class, we will explore the role of reviews in our culture and consider what can/should be reviewed: we will decide together which cultural events and products we will review. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 3341 (01): Shakespeare—Dr. Meg Savilonis—TR 9:25-10:40
This course is a survey of the work of William Shakespeare, including representative sonnets, comedies, tragedies, histories, and romances. Students will engage in literary and cultural analysis of various texts through readings, lectures, class discussions, writing, and research, exploring the predominant themes, traditions, conventions, and structures of the work of William Shakespeare. This semester, the course will consider Shakespeare’s work in relation to adaptations of it, including 19th century burlesques, Ann Marie MacDonald’s Goodnight Desdemona, Good Morning Juliet, and the television series Slings & Arrows. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4481 (01) World Literature:  Creating Identity—Prof. Antoinette Brim—online
In this course, students will explore world literatures that seek to articulate how self-actualization impacts not only the individual, but the larger community. These literatures also challenge the notion that the individual creates him/herself independently and considers the impact of societal values based on custom, religion and gender.  Literature by authors from diverse ethnicities and socio-political backgrounds will serve as a catalyst for discussion, research and reflection. Additionally, students will examine media (video, audio, and print). (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4482 (01): Special Topics: Queer Drama—Dr. Edward Geisweidt—MW 1:40-2:55
Through cultural and historical analysis of dramatic texts by Christopher Marlowe, Caryl Churchill, Tony Kushner, Tom Stoppard, and others, we will explore the ways these dramas depict challenges to normativities from outside or beyond binaristic sexual identities. What are the political, religious, epistemological, gendered, classed, and raced intersections with non-normative sexuality in the selected texts? Readings will include not only plays but also selections from diverse fields and genres, including queer theory, AIDS public awareness campaigns, accounts of McCarthyism, Renaissance treatises on family structure, and Victorian literary theory. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4483 (01): Fantastic Fiction: Genre Games—Prof. Richard Farrell—TR 1:40-2:55
The course explores the “weird” and/or “alternative” work of novelists who bend, break, and blend the conventions of science/crime/historical and other genres of fiction—and even of academic writing in fields like history, political science, and technology. Among the writers: Philip K. Dick, Umberto Eco, Jonathan Lethem, Haruki Murakami, and China Miéville. The results are a wild ride. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4484 (01H): Honors Special TopicsFan Cultures & Literary FanaticismDrs. Chris Dowd & Jeff Debies-CarlTR 10:50-12:05 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
Star Wars, live action role-playing, Harry Potter, Civil War reenactments, graphic novels, cosplay – what, if anything, do these things have in common? In this class, students will investigate these and other topics to understand the concept of ‘fandom’ and the emergence of fan cultures. Social group formation centering on an intense, shared interest in diverse forms of media have become increasingly visible over the years. This course asks why this phenomenon has proliferated and what lies at the heart of these fan cultures. As participants in an experiential course, students will not only read literature and watch seminal media that inspires fan devotion, but will also immerse themselves in first-hand investigations and field research of fan cultures in order to gain an insider’s understanding of fandom and to become better equipped to answer questions regarding its origins and significance. (Honors credit, English literature elective, or free elective. Cross-listed with SOCI).

ENGL 4485 (01H): Honors Special Topics: The Figure of Jesus: Verbal and Visual Representations Across Two Millennia—Professors Richard Farrell and Martin O'Connor—MW 1:40-2:55 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
Representations of Jesus, whether textual or visual, have varied widely from the start. The variations depend on, among other things, the cultural situation of the beholders and the lenses they use: theology, philosophy, political science, literature, art, and so forth. The course will examine some of the earliest relevant texts, including canonical and apocryphal and heretical ones—since all were familiar to and argued over by the first “Christians.” We will next consider medieval and Islamic ideas and iconography and then move to some Early Modern (or Renaissance) versions. We will conclude with a sampler of modern and contemporary variants. Our emphasis is on the complexity and fluidity of appropriations of a figure often considered simple and fixed. (CC 1.2, 5.2, or 6, English literature elective, or free elective, substitution for ENGL 2290 The Bible as Literature )

ENGL 4492 (01): Special Topics: Tactical Writing for Government—Prof. Matthew Salyer—MW 10:50-12:05

Why are there so many acronyms? Why do military officers receive reading lists and produce book reports? How does rhetorical analysis have an impact on diplomacy? Across a wide range of public sector careers, professional development depends on the ability to produce specialized texts on short notice and critically analyze a variety of sources. This course will introduce students to general conventions of writing for the public sector, as well as the formal and technical aspects of producing emails, memoranda, orders, and effective reports for specific public sector audiences. In addition, students will examine the literary, historical, and cultural contexts for public sector writing. How, for example, do we come to approach field dispatches and journals – think Lewis and Clark – as significant historical or literary texts? Our focus, however, will be on the effective practice of written communication for both specialized and general public sector audiences. Guests may include members of the Armed Forces, U.S Department of State, NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations), and various law enforcement agencies. (English writing elective or free elective).