Fall 2015 Featured Courses

UNH English Upper-level Courses for Fall 2015
Unless otherwise indicated, the only prerequisite is ENGL 1110 (formerly E110) Composition and Literature.

ENGL 2200 Studies in Literature: “This Mortal Coil”: Reflections on Mortality and Immortality—Dr. Meg Savilonis—TR 9:25-10:40 (Prerequisite: ENGL 1105/1106 or placement by the English department)
This course provides an introduction to literary genres and writing about literature with emphasis on close reading, literary analysis and interpretation, research, and critical writing. Attention is paid to literary techniques, terminology, and critical theories. This section examines reflections on mortality and immortality in literature and art from a variety of genres and cultural contexts. Texts include works by Raymond Carver, John Donne, Paula Vogel, Langston Hughes, William Shakespeare, Julian Barnes, Dorothy Parker, Bill T. Jones, M. Ward, Tom Waits, and others. (CC 1.2 or 6, or free elective; requirement for English major)

ENGL 2211 (01): Early British Writers–Dr. Edward Geisweidt —MW 9:25-10:40 
Categorized among the disciplines known as “the humanities,” literary study, we might expect, teaches us about what it means to be human. Therefore, in this course we will read early British texts (ca. 800 - 1800) with an eye to what they say about being human.  This critical focus will take us beyond reading for the simple details of plot and create a specific point of engagement that will help to make old texts relevant to our current cultural and personal concerns. At the same time, we will use these texts to historicize and to question our own assumptions about the meaning of “the human.” (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2217 (01): African American Literature—Dr. Randall Horton—MW 1:40-2:55
This is a survey course of African American writers and their works within historical, social and theoretical contexts from the late 1700s to 1930. We will examine autobiographical narratives, essays, letters, fiction, poetry, and a diverse array of vernacular forms. The course provides an opportunity to examine these works as an integral part of American literature and as creative, ethnic works of art that reflect the African American experience, heritage, and culture. (CC 1.2, 5.2, or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2251 (01): Narrative Nonfiction: Writing the Self—Prof. Richard Farrell—MW 3:03-4:20
Can you tell the truth creatively?  Read some personal writing: memoir, literary journalism, etc. Then write about your formative experience: people, places, events that have shaped your values and goals. Explore ways to make your “self” important to readers—a goal for students of all majors. (English writing elective, Creative Writing minor elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2260 (01): Short Story—Dr. Jeff Foster—TR 4:30-5:45
“Formations of Identity: Critical Studies in the Short Story” will focus on the question, “How do we as individuals become who we are?” Toward answering this question (if indeed there is an answer), we will read a wide variety of short stories from such authors as Hemingway, Salinger, Cather, Porter, Lawrence, and Faulkner. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2267 (01): Intro to Creative Writing—Dr. Randall Horton—MW 3:05-4:45
This Creative Writing course will concentrate solely on poetry and various forms of creative prose. The fundamental ideology of this class begins with the premise that successful writers actively engage in reading and the writing process. Also, writers must be able to receive critique, which is why part of this class will function as a workshop as we learn to discourse within the craft of writing. (English writing elective, Creative Writing minor elective, or free elective) 

ENGL 2287 (01): Story Structure & Narrative Form—Dr. Chris Dowd—TR 1:40-2:55
(Prerequisite: ENGL 2267 or consent of instructor.)
This Creative Writing course provides students the opportunity to study story structures and the formal aspects of fiction and other narrative genres. Attention will be given to the technical aspects of storytelling at the heart of writing compelling novels, short stories, stage plays, and screenplays. The course will explore the relationship between form and content through lectures, readings, discussions, and a variety of writing exercises. Attention will be given to traditional elements of storytelling, including structure, characterization, point-of-view, and style, as well as topics related to genre, collaborative storytelling, and transmedia storytelling. Although not a traditional creative writing workshop course, students will focus on developing their own creative writing projects. These projects will include original creations as well as creative manipulations/extensions of existing stories from popular culture (ie., TV, film). The course will culminate with a major project in which students will simulate a Hollywood “writers’ room” with the goal of collaboratively structuring and writing a multi-episode story. (English writing elective, Creative Writing minor elective, or free elective)

ENGL 3393 (01) Mark Twain—David E. E. Sloane—TR 12:15-1:30
David E. E. Sloane, author of several books on Mark Twain and one of the shapers of modern Twain studies will lead discussions of Twain's relationship to American culture and ethics, looking closely at his relations to other literary comedians, his portrayal of race through humor, and his international vision of human experience. Important comic stories like “The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” “A True Story,” and “Cannibalism in the Cars” will join readings in humorous travel books like Innocents Abroad, Roughing It, and Life on the Mississippi, and the major novels Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Pudd'nhead Wilson. Students taking this course laugh out loud in the library. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4482 (01H) ST Honors: Language and Thought—Dr. Meg Savilonis and Dr. Alexandria E. Guzmán—MW 12:15-1:30 (restricted to Honors students)
This course examines theories about the social and emotional uses of language within the field of Psychology and investigates the ways in which playwrights, poets, novelists, and other artists explore language in their work. The course will consider how such works raise questions about the nature of language and how we process and represent language. Through readings, lectures, class discussions, video, writing, and research, students will become familiar with several psychological, cultural, literary, and performance theories and apply those theories to texts from a variety of cultures and genres. Texts include Steven Pinker’s The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature, Jesse Sheidlower’s The F-Word, and works by artists such as Lewis Carroll, Dorothy Parker, Roger Bonair-Agard, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Flight of the Conchords, David Simon, and others. (CC 1.2, 5.1, or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4497 (01): ST: Writing for Digital Environments—Dr. Jenna Pack Sheffield—MW 10:50-12:05
In this course, we will explore—through theory and practice—how to communicate effectively and rhetorically through digital media. We will discuss how digital environments may be changing what it means to be a writer and examine how the concepts of collaboration, convergence, community, design, and usability affect our writing practices in online environments. You will have the opportunity to learn and experiment with a variety of digital technologies of your choice, creating wikis, blogs, photo essays, podcasts, remixes, mash-ups, websites, or social media campaigns. As you learn to integrate course concepts with your practical new media composing skills, you will develop many of the abilities you need for up-and-coming writing careers as content strategists, social media specialists, or community managers; you will learn to write for online audiences invested in your field of study; and you will engage in social action through digital composing. (English writing elective or free elective)