Marine Biology

Recognizing that the solutions to the ever-increasing threats to the world’s oceans and coastlines lie in highly trained and knowledgeable scientists and policy makers, Marine Biology occupies a prominent position here at the University of New Haven.

As an estuary of the Atlantic Ocean, with numerous rivers emptying into it, Long Island Sound is a marine biologist’s paradise.  Happily for students of marine biology at UNH, that paradise is only minutes away.

Jump right in.

Unlike most universities that only offer marine biology courses to upper division students, UNH students start their marine biology program as first semester freshmen – with a hand-on, intensive marine field methods course.  Freshmen marine biology students also have the opportunity to explore the diversity of careers they may choose to pursue within the field upon graduation. All students in the program have the opportunity to engage in field and laboratory research projects.  In addition, small class sizes mean frequent and meaningful student-faculty contact, making your experience in the program one-of-a-kind.

"This program is as experiential as it gets. We’re out on Long Island Sound weekly so that we can expose the students to all the different techniques they need to know in order to be a functioning marine scientist." - Dr. Carmela Cuomo, Associate Professor of Biology and Environmental Science; Director, Marine Biology Program

Chart your course.

As a student in this program, you will take a Marine Biology Careers course that introduces you to the many careers within the field.  To name a few specializations:  marine ecology, aquaculture, coastal resource management, marine pollution, marine botany, and conservation of marine organisms.  Those looking to hire marine biologists include government agencies, academic and research institutions, environmental and conservation organizations, industries, the oil and gas industry, pharmaceutical companies and numerous other industries.

Study overseas.

The program encourages study abroad in junior year to broaden your field expertise and expand your comfort zone into other cultures. Students have studied abroad in Australia and New Zealand as well as in Europe. Additionally, UNH marine biology students may choose to study with our own faculty in a tropical marine biology course at the Gerace Tropical Research Station on San Salvador Island in the Bahamas. 

1. Program Description

1. Similar Programs

If you are interested in Marine Biology, you may also want to find out more about our undergraduate BiologyBiotechnology, and Environmental Science programs, or our graduate Cellular & Molecular Biology and Environmental Science programs.
Parameters for youtube{handler: {height:'440px', width:'560px'}}

See how our first-year marine biology students get hands-on experience in Long Island Sound.

rW16B4awpAg

Find Us On