4+1 Pre-Education

Great teachers have two passions: the passion they have for their subject and the passion they have for getting others excited about it. Sound like you? If so, Connecticut needs you. There’s an acute shortage of certified teachers in the state, especially in urban school districts and in the secondary subject areas of English, math, and science. With our 4 + 1 Pre-Education program, you can earn your Master of Science in Education and be eligible for Connecticut teacher certification in a little over five years.

Major in your passion — then study teaching.

The University of New Haven does not offer an undergraduate degree in teaching. There’s a sound reason for that. Research shows that the best teachers are those who first get their credentials in a major subject and then learn teaching practices. The UNH Graduate Education Department will prepare you for either elementary or secondary school teaching. Secondary-school certification areas include business, English, history and social studies, mathematics, music, science, and world languages.

Make the leap to teaching in year five.

Along with completing the degree requirements for your major, you’ll take “Introduction to Education” in your sophomore or junior year and two foundational graduate education courses in your senior year.

Then, after receiving your bachelor’s degree, you’ll begin a 1,000-hour internship in a public school, with the school paying the tuition for your graduate school evening classes. You’ll gain valuable first-hand experience while you intern, interacting with students and observing professional teachers in their own classes.

Thirteen weeks of student teaching will follow your internship. This will allow you to receive your master’s degree and State Certification by the end of December, in just a little over five years. You’ll be ready to apply for teaching positions, many of which are available in January.

Unique Features

• UNH undergraduates enter the graduate education program without prerequisite courses.  
  • Classes are held in West Haven, New London, and Newington. The average class size is 17 students.  
  • UNH undergraduates have priority admission into the UNH graduate education program.  
  • UNH undergraduates will be given priority for available internships.  
  • UNH undergraduates receive a Master of Science degree in education and are eligible for Connecticut teacher certification in 14 months.

Why Study at UNH? 

• Interns are assigned to work for one year in the schools, performing teaching and paraprofessional duties.
  • Candidates are able to put theory into practice and reflect on their experiences each day.
  • Tuition is paid for by the school district, if a candidate is an intern.  
  • All classes occur in the evening.  
  • The intensity of the program results in a shorter time to obtain certification.
  1. Program Description

1. Enjoy some favoritism.

As a UNH undergraduate, you’ll have priority admission into the UNH graduate education program.
    Currently, our Education Department is placing interns in 36 Connecticut public schools.

1. Similar Programs

If you are interested in Education, you may also want to find out more about our Graduate Professional Education and Teacher Certification programs.