Theater Arts

To perform or not to perform?  That is the question — among many others — for anyone with a passion for the theater and a desire to play a part in it.  But whether you dream of a place under the spotlights or behind the scenes, there are many ways to make a career in theater.  As a theater arts major at UNH, you’ll audition them all.  You’ll discover the role you were made for and rehearse it for the real world.  By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready for a theater career that can run for decades.

Find your role.

You’ll study in a creative environment that develops, nurtures, and showcases your creative talents.  Where those talents lie will become obvious as you explore courses in:

• Acting
  • Dance
  • Dramatic literature
  • Stagecraft
  • Directing
  • Playwriting

Students performingBecause the classes at UNH are small — seldom exceeding 20 students — you’ll get more individual attention and guidance from your instructors, which will help your talent blossom. At UNH, you’re not one in a sea of faces — which can happen in larger universities.  Think of our classes as cast-size, instead of audience-size.

While you’re focusing on your area of interest, you’ll also get a broad overview of the industry from performance to design to the business of running a theater.  It is essential for anyone involved in the theater to have a deep appreciation and understanding of its many aspects.  To be truly at home in the theater, you need to know it inside and out.

Concentrate on your craft.

In addition to the University’s core requirements and the required courses for theater arts majors, you can opt for a concentration in one of three areas:

• Performance.  You’ll take courses in acting, dance, directing, and vocal performance.
  • Design and Production. Learn stagecraft, basic design, color, and production fundamentals.
  • Literary. Make the most of studying theater in a liberal arts setting by immersing yourself in dramatic literature and take advantage of the rare opportunity for undergraduates to explore dramaturgy.

Make Community Connections

In our Theater for Community Impact course, a new and distinctive feature of the major, students explore the  possibilities of theater to inspire social change, both on campus and off. 

Theater Program

A newly formed partnership with New Haven’s Elm Shakespeare company provides opportunities for students to perform and work with an Equity company before or immediately after graduation, and students have also studied away at the nearby National Theatre Institute and interned at New Haven’s celebrated Festival of Arts and Ideas."

Think about our location.

UNH is ten minutes from the historic theaters of New Haven and an easy commute to the Boston theater district and Broadway, off-Broadway, and off-off Broadway in New York. If you’re looking to be steeped in theater while you study, you couldn’t find a better location than UNH.

1. Current Production

Please join us for a presentation by the Theater for Community Impact class to raise awareness about sexual assault, relationship abuse and harassment at 8 p.m. Dec. 4 in Bucknall Theater.

2. Auditions

Audition on Saturday, December 6, for the Theater Program's April 2015 production!
    Click here for details.

Find Us On