Updated: Tuesday, October 30 at 2:15 p.m.
Dear UNH Faculty and Staff,
I hope that you and your family weathered the effects of Hurricane Sandy well. Thank you for your cooperation in preparing for this major storm. Each of you contributed in a significant way to helping the University of New Haven keep our campus community safe. Fortunately, the campus suffered only minor damage from the storm and we will be able to reopen tomorrow.
Dates for Return to Normal Operations—Here are the key dates for reopening and for return to normal operations:
- Faculty and staff should report for regular office hours on Wednesday, October 31. We understand that many people were affected by Hurricane Sandy and may still not have power. All Faculty/Staff are welcome to use the Beckerman Recreation Center shower facilities during open hours of operation until your power is restored. Please check the Rec Center website for hours.
- Residence halls will reopen on Wednesday, October 31, beginning at 11 a.m.
- Classes for English Language Services (ELS) students will begin on Wednesday, October 31.
- Classes for undergraduate students will begin on Thursday, November 1 on the normal schedule.
- Classes for graduate students will begin 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 31 on the normal schedule.
- Information on dining service facility hours will be sent to students via email. Normal meal hours will resume on Thursday, November 1.
- Student activities and athletic events will resume their normal schedules beginning on Thursday, November 1.
- You will receive an email regarding the Campus Shuttle service hours. More information regarding the operation of train station shuttle service between the downtown New Haven train station and campus will be provided once MetroNorth and Amtrak have announced their resumption of service.
Student Activities/Athletic Events
- Please check the University’s website, www.newhaven.edu, or look for emails announcing the rescheduling of some of the student activities and athletic events that were cancelled due to the storm.
- Some students may not be able to attend classes on either Wednesday (graduate students only) or Thursday (both undergraduate and graduate students) due to the storm, please be understanding and accommodating of those students who require extra time in making up academic assignments missed due to the storm.
Currently, the University facilities staff is addressing minor repairs and debris cleanup on campus. Your continued patience and cooperation will be greatly appreciated during this time. If you have a maintenance issue in your office, please contact you’re the Facilities Operations Office at ext. 7087 or place a work ticket online on at http://www.newhaven.edu/147257/. Your safety is of the utmost importance to us.
As the University does its best to reopen and return to normalcy, please continue to monitor the UNH website and check your emails for further updates. Again, thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to your return to campus.
With best wishes,