Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Study Abroad FAQs

How do I get started?

The first step in the process is to attend an information session or sit down with a peer advisor to discuss where you want to go and to learn more about the study abroad application process. 

What are the requirements to study abroad?

To study abroad through one of our exchange programs, network of providers or short-term programs, you must be a currently enrolled student with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher and have at least a sophomore standing by the time you plan to go abroad. You must not have transferred to UNH with more than 60 credits to participate in an exchange or provider program.

For the Tuscany Campus, you must have a 2.5 GPA or higher. Incoming freshman will be evaluated based on high school information submitted during the admissions process.

You must be in good academic, disciplinary and financial standing with the university.

When should I study abroad?

There is no standard time when it is best to study abroad. The best time to study abroad depends on you as an individual and your degree program. You should let your academic advisor know as soon as possible if you are interested in studying abroad as well as visit our office. We can all work together to help you plan for an experience abroad. 

How do I choose a study abroad program?

There are a number of different options when it comes to picking a program. You should take into consideration your academic, professional and personal goals when selecting a program. Also, talk to your academic advisor to determine if a semester or short-term program is best suited to your academic program. Students can study through the Tuscany Campus, Exchange programs or our network of providers. Visit the ‘Getting Started’ section of the website for more information.

Can I study abroad if I don’t speak a foreign language?

Courses in our study abroad programs are generally taught in English. Some programs require that you take the language as part of your semester in order to better engage with the host community. If you want to specifically pursue language studies there are definitely options for you to so this as well! We recommend that students take language while abroad (and before they go if possible!) in order to make the most of your experience and to be able to really get to know individuals from the place you will be living.

Where will I live while abroad?

Housing options vary by program.  Students are housed either in hotels, shared apartment, dormitories or homestay families. Each program page provides information on the housing options available at that location. 

What is the application process?

All students who wish to study abroad must apply through the University of New Haven using our online application system. You can search for programs and apply by visiting the ‘Program Search’ section of the website. One your application is complete; you should receive a decision in approximately 2-3 weeks. Students participating in a program through our network of providers will complete the provider application AFTER receiving approval from UNH.

All students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 at the time of submitting the application, however some programs may require a higher GPA. Please check each program’s page for details on this requirement. Meeting or exceeding the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admission to a program. Admission decisions are based on a full review of the student’s file including academic history, disciplinary records, and essay submissions. All admission decisions are final.

When should I apply?

Applications for study abroad are submitted and reviewed the semester prior to going abroad. The deadline for Fall semester programs is April 15. The deadline for Spring semester programs is October 1.  The deadline for Summer programs is April 1. 

How much will it cost?

The cost of each program varies depending on location and program structure. For the Tuscany Campus, students are billed standard tuition and fees as a residential student. For programs in other locations, the program price will vary. You can find the program price listed on each program page.

Can I use my financial aid?

On all semester programs, students have access to their federal financial aid, with the exception of work-study. For the Tuscany Campus and exchange programs, students will maintain access to their institutional aid such as scholarships and grants. For programs through our network of providers, students do not have access to their institutional aid for that semester. 

Will I get housing when I return from studying abroad?

Students abroad in the Spring semester and wish to live on campus the following Fall will need to follow all the processes and procedures dictated by Residential Life. Students who submit their deposit will be eligible to participate in the housing lottery as they normally do. Student abroad in the Fall semester will be placed in available university housing when they return for the Spring semester.

Will the credits I earn abroad transfer back to UNH?

All students who study abroad must complete a course approval form as part of the application process. You will work with your academic advisor to determine how the courses you take abroad will transfer back to UNH.