Housing and Living Arrangements
Finding an Apartment:
- The University of New Haven does NOT provide on-campus housing or on-campus apartments for graduate students. However, a number of landlords and real estate agents will be available on campus on Jan. 2nd to help new international students find an apartment.
The average monthly rent for an apartment ranges from $750 to $1000 per month. Expect to pay more than $ 1000 for a 2-bedroom apartment. For more information, please review our off-campus housing newsletter.
- You MUST utilize the following 5 steps to look for an apartment prior to leaving your country and prior to December 23, 2012 as most real estate agents and businesses will be closed for the Holidays from Dec 24 to Jan 1st :
1) Contact Fred A. Messore, a real estate agent from Colonial Properties. Fred would be happy to help you in your search for an apartment. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to view his web page.
2) You can also directly contact two local apartment complexes: Wintergreen of Westville and Hadley, Inc. You can reach Wintergreen at (203) 389-7593. The contact information for Hadley, Inc. is (203) 777-4599 or via email at email@example.com
4) You will also find Tenant Resources and Area information by going to our Off Campus Website: www.newhaven.edu/offcampushousing and click on Student/Tenant.
5) Contact the Office of Residential Life (ORL) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Ms. Meghan Rydzik, Assistant Director of Residential Life at email@example.com or call (203) 932-7076 if you have any questions regarding off-campus housing. The University's Office of Residential Life (ORL) maintains listings of off-campus accommodations including apartments, houses and private rooms in the immediate area for those who are interested.
International students who have not yet made proper arrangements for off campus housing, or accommodation with friends or relatives, should plan to go directly to a hotel upon their arrival in the U.S.A. We recommend the following hotels:
Hampton Inn & Suites: 510 Saw Mill Road, West Haven, CT, 06516. TEL: 1-203-932-0404. Cost: $99 plus tax per night including breakfast and high speed internet. Use corporate ID # 002657544 when booking online www.hamptoninn.com to get the UNH discounted rate.
La Quinta Hotel: 400 Sargent Drive, New Haven, CT 06511. Tel: 203-562-1111. Cost: $95 plus tax per night including free breakfast, free WIFI and a free shuttle to the University. www.lq.com
Best Western Hotel: 490 Sawmill Road West Haven, CT 06516, Tel: 203-933-0344. Cost per night: $89 plus tax. www.bestwestern.com/
- Courtyard by Marriott: 136 Marsh Hill Road, Orange, CT, Tel: 203-799-2200. www.marriott.com/hvnco
- Hampton Inn & Suites: 510 Saw Mill Road, West Haven, CT, 06516. TEL: 1-203-932-0404. Cost: $99 plus tax per night including breakfast and high speed internet. Use corporate ID # 002657544 when booking online www.hamptoninn.com to get the UNH discounted rate.