For First-Year Applicants
Students have the option of applying directly to the major of their choice or applying
as an Undeclared Exploratory major. Applications for admission are considered complete
and will be reviewed for admission to the university once the following materials
- Application – Students can apply with the Common Application.
- Application Fee – The application fee is $50.Official high school transcript – Submit an official copy
of your secondary/high school transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
A satisfactory General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is acceptable in place of a high
school diploma. (Note: The Right of Privacy Act requires that you must request your
official transcripts. UNH cannot request them on your behalf.)
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores – Submit official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores
from the testing center.
- Our SAT code is #3663. For further information about the SAT, go to www.collegeboard.com.
- Our ACT code is #0576. For further information about the ACT, go to www.act.org.
- A personal essay – The essay is an opportunity for us to get to know you as a person, not just your
grades and test scores! It also gives us an example of how you express yourself and
demonstrates your ability to organize your thoughts. The personal essay should be
between 250 and 650 words on a topic of your choice. (If you have entered a personal
essay in the Common App, this is the only personal essay that you will need to submit.)
- Letter of Recommendation – Submit at least one letter of recommendation from an academic source. An academic
source can include a teacher, principal, or guidance counselor who can attest to a
student's academic capabilities and ability to work at the college level. Students
are welcome to submit multiple letters of recommendation if they wish.
Transcripts and letter(s) of recommendation, as well as any additional materials directly
from your secondary/high school, can be sent via:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions - Bayer Hall
300 Boston Post Road West Haven, CT 06516
- Email (as a PDF file), send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax, (203) 931-6093