Updated Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 2:15 p.m.
Dear UNH Students,
I hope that you and your family weathered the effects of Hurricane Sandy well. Thank you for your cooperation in preparing for this major storm. Whether you were able to go home, find alternative housing or stayed on campus, each of you contributed in a significant way to helping the University of New Haven keep our campus community safe. We are proud of the way you conducted yourselves and supported our emergency efforts.
Dates for Return to Normal Operations—Now that the storm has passed, the University is ready to resume normal operations as quickly as possible. Here are the key dates for reopening and for return to normal operations:
- Residence halls will reopen on Wednesday, October 31, beginning at 11 a.m.
- Classes for English Language Services (ELS) students will begin on Wednesday, October 31.
- Classes for undergraduate students will begin on Thursday, November 1 on the normal schedule.
- Classes for graduate students will begin 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 31 on the normal schedule.
- Information on dining service facility hours will be sent to students via email. Normal meal hours will resume on Thursday, November 1.
- Student activities and athletic events will resume their normal schedules beginning on Thursday, November 1.
- You will receive an email regarding the Campus Shuttle service hours. More information regarding the operation of train station shuttle service between the downtown New Haven train station and campus will be provided once MetroNorth and Amtrak have announced their resumption of service.
Please continue to check the University's Shuttles & Transportation website for updates on transportation to and from the train station.
Student Activities/Athletic Events
- Please check the University’s website, www.newhaven.edu, or look for emails announcing the rescheduling of some of the student activities and athletic events that were cancelled due to the storm.
If Your Return is Delayed—If you are not able to return to the residence halls or begin classes on the dates listed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and provide the following information: (1) Name, (2) Major, (3) Class Year, (4) Resident or Commuter, (5) Phone Number, and (6) Details as to why you are unable to return for class on Thursday and your estimated time of return to campus. Your response will let us know that you’re okay and allow us to notify your RA and faculty. Faculty will be asked to be understanding and accommodating of students who require extra time in making up academic assignments missed due to the storm.
Currently, the University facilities staff is addressing minor repairs and debris cleanup on campus. Your continued patience and cooperation will be greatly appreciated during this time. If you have a maintenance issue in your residence hall, please contact your RA. Your safety is of the utmost importance to us.
As the University does its best to reopen and return to normalcy, please continue to monitor the UNH website and check your emails for further updates. Again, thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to your return to campus.