The purpose of the Executive in Residence program is to bring industry leaders into the classroom and to keep faculty on the cutting edge of sport management practice. A distinguished list of sports executives have taught at the University of New Haven over the years as part of the program. Through the Executive-in-Residence Program, the University of New Haven invites a prominent sport manager every year to teach and meet with students. It’s a great opportunity for up-close-and-personal chats with some of the industry’s major players. You are sure to come away with some inside tips on how to blaze a career trail.
Previous guest speakers include:
- Bud Selig - Major League Baseball Commissioner
- Chris Berman - ESPN Sportscaster
- Brian Cashman - General Manager, New York Yankees
- Jalen Rose - ESPN Sportscaster
Past executives in residence include:
- David Beckerman—Founder and former CEO of the Starter Corporation; currently chairman of the Acorn Group in New Haven.
- Lawrence Flanagan — Former CMO (Retired), Worldwide Marketing & Communications, MasterCard Worldwide and current CEO/President AARP Service.
- Rosa Gatti — Former Senior Vice President for Communications, ESPN.
- ChrisAnn Hayes —Ace Tickets, Operations Manager
- Brian Jennings — Senior Vice President, Marketing with the National Hockey League and an expert in licensed goods/apparel.
- Christine Johnson — Former Vice President for Marketing, Timex.
- Dr. Donna Lopiano — Former Chief Executive Officer of the Women’s Sports Foundation (1992-2007)
- Dr. Joseph Machnik — Former Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Major League Soccer; former Commissioner of the Indoor Soccer League.
- Craig Mortali — Six-time Emmy Award-winning producer at ESPN.
- Brian O'Gara — Senior Director of Special Events, Major League Baseball; organizes events like the World Series and the All-Star Game.
- Linda Pantell —Former Senior Manager of Facility Operations, Security and Facility Management Dept., Major League Baseball.
- John Rollins — Former VP, Finance, National Football League and ESPN.
- Nick Sakiewicz — CEO and Operating Partner, Philadelphia Union, MLS.
- David Schreff — Former President, Worldwide Market and Media Group for the National Basketball Association Properties; currently President of Bedare, LLC.
- Sonny Vaccaro — Former basketball marketing pioneer who helped connect Nike and Michael Jordan.
- James Westhall — Former president of Jewel Production, Ltd., which owned and ran the Volvo International Tennis Tournament.
- Ralph Willis — Partner, EFA Partners; Former Director, GE Capital, Sports/Entertainment.
- Anne Worcester — Former CEO of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Tour from 1991 through 1997; Tournament Director of CT Open, a USTA event in New Haven.
Besides the Executive in Residence program, we bring in several guest speakers. Please click here to know our recent guest speakers.
Also, University of New Haven Management of Sports Industries alumni remain actively engaged with students, giving talks on campus to inspire and encourage as well as mentoring and providing job shadowing opportunities.
The more exposure you can get to the real world before you graduate, the better. It is a continuing theme throughout the program.