Students can obtain a wealth of knowledge from books, lectures, and guest speakers; however, a more complete knowledge can be acquired by having students enter the workforce and assume responsibilities that will help to develop their business management skills and acumen.
The University of New Haven considers internships to be a critical component of the educational process. We strive to successfully match an intern with the most appropriate work environment. We understand that all three parties in the internship relationship-the University of New Haven, the student, and the internship location-need to devote significant time to make it work. This balancing act, when achieved, results in a quality internship that can lead to developing a strong future employee.
Numerous ways exist to develop, host, and participate in an internship. Through working with the internship coordinator, every effort will be made to make the internship experience meaningful.
- 76% of employers indicate their primary purpose for sponsoring interns is to recruit entry-level talent.
- 83% of employers report higher retention rates for those new hires with internship experience versus those with no experience.
- There are many career opportunities for our students in the business world, government, and academia. Accounting professionals are needed by consulting firms, public accounting firms, and private industry, as well as by federal, state, and local governments.
- Future business entrepreneurs can also benefit from our programs since our faculty members have substantial real-world experience to share with students. The accounting program participates in the cooperative education program, which enables students to combine their education with practical work experience in their career field.
- The demands of the UNH accounting program are rigorous but highly rewarding. Students are expected to produce a high-quality professional-standard work product to prepare for the demands of graduate-level studies. Students can choose to continue their education at UNH by studying for a master's degree in accounting.