Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Financial Aid

Q. What exactly is financial aid and where does it come from?

A. Financial aid includes Scholarships (money you don’t have to repay, that is based on merit and/or financial need as determined by the FAFSA), Grants (money you don’t have to repay, that is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA), Loans (money you borrow that you do have to repay), and Student Employment (money the student earns by receiving weekly pay checks for hours they work in a position through the university).

Financial Aid can come from several sources:  the federal government, the state in which you are a resident, the institution, and private sources (agencies and organizations such as civic groups, high schools, churches, etc.).

Q. How does my child apply for financial aid?

A. The first step is to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the UNH federal school code (001397), by the UNH priority deadline, March 1.  Families should file the FAFSA at  Once the FAFSA is completed with the UNH federal school code indicated on the application, it will be sent to UNH from the federal processing center. 

In addition, all new students and current students selected for verification by the federal processing center must submit to the Financial Aid Office a Verification Worksheet and copies of the federal Tax Return Transcripts (for student and parents who filed a federal tax return) by the stated deadline.  The federal Tax Return Transcripts must be obtained by contacting the IRS either at Students should also try to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval process on the FAFSA to populate their federal income and tax information directly into the FAFSA. This process will alleviate the need to obtain tax return transcripts from the IRS.

Note: The Financial Aid Office may request additional documents or information in order to successfully review your file.  More detailed instructions and links are found on Applying for Financial Aid

Q. What are the most common errors made when applying for financial aid?

A. Filing your application late and submitting illegible, incomplete, or unsigned documentation are some of the most common errors.  In addition, the following are the most common errors made on the FAFSA: Incorrect Social Security Numbers – Not using your legal name from your social security card- Omitting the school code 001397 – Males not registering for selective service/Females not indicating that they are Female resulting in a selective service flag issue – Failing to include stepparent income – Failing to report untaxed income such as child support, contributions to a 401k plan or an IRA, etc. – Under reporting or failure to report parent and/or student assets – Incorrect reporting of number in household/college. Please be sure to check your FAFSA carefully before submitting it.

Be sure to submit your FAFSA at the federal website:

Q. How does my child apply for merit scholarship at the University of New Haven?

A. Merit-based grants such as but not limited to the Distinguished Scholar Award, Presidential Scholarship, or Charger Award are awarded by the UNH Admissions office at the time of acceptance to recognize a student’s scholastic achievement.  You may only receive ONE merit based traditional scholarship. Visit the Merit Scholarships page for more detailed information.


Q. As a parent I cannot afford to pay for my child’s tuition, can they be considered independent?

A. In order to be considered independent the student must be able to answer “Yes” to one of the dependency questions on the FAFSA.  If the student can answer “Yes” then they are independent and no parental information is required on the FAFSA.  If the student answers “No” to all of the dependency questions, the student is considered dependent and parent information is required on the FAFSA.  The questions involve if the student is over 24 years old, married, in a graduate program, serving on active duty in the armed forces, have children whom they support more than 50%, an orphan, an emancipated minor, in legal guardianship, or homeless as determined by their high school homeless liaison.  Documentation may be required to confirm independent status. 

General Award Information

Q. What type of financial aid is available at the University of New Haven?

A. There are several different types of financial aid available to eligible recipients, from a variety of sources.  These resources are outlined in Financial Aid Programs.


Q. When will my child know how much aid he/she has been awarded?

A. Prospective students who have submitted the FAFSA by the UNH March 1 priority deadline and have been formally accepted by Admissions, will receive “estimated” aid award information, beginning in March based on the date the FAFSA is received.  An award notification is mailed to the student with instructions to access the UNH online financial aid system to view all the details of your “financial aid package”.  A final award will be made once you have submitted all required documentation.  Your estimated award may be subject to change if the tax documentation pertaining to income or assets indicates a significant change from the information originally reported on your FAFSA.

Returning students are notified beginning in June after their academic progress is reviewed at the end of the academic year. Students are sent an email to their UNH email address advising them their financial aid award is ready for viewing on-line.


Q. Will UNH meet 100% of my child’s need?

A. The Financial Aid Office has a limited amount of resources to distribute as equitably as possible to all of our financial aid applicants.  We meet a percentage of a student’s need with grants, scholarships, loans and student employment.  Most families supplement their EFC and unmet need through a variety of resources such as the federal parent PLUS loan, a private alternative loan or the Tuition Management System payment plan.  These alternative options can be found on our website under the heading Loan Options/Paying Your Bill.

Things to Know After You Receive Your Award 

Q. What is meant by “financial need”?

A. Each student’s individual financial need is calculated based on the following formula: Cost of Attendance (COA) – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = NEED.  The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated by the Federal Department of Education from the information reported on your FAFSA. The EFC formula considers income, assets, family size and number of family members in college.


Q. Why is my child’s award letter different than the EFC that was listed on the FAFSA?

A. The EFC is the calculated amount that the federal government believes your family can contribute toward the student’s education.  However, this does not mean that you will be paying the amount of your EFC to the institution.  You may pay more or less depending on your financial aid award.  The Financial Aid Office has a limited amount of resources to distribute as equitably as possible to all of our financial aid applicants.  We meet a percentage of a student’s need with grants, scholarships, loans and student employment.  Most families supplement their EFC and unmet need through additional resources.


Q. How do we finalize my child’s award package?

A. In order to have a final review completed, students must accept the financial aid offered and submit all documentation requested.  Accepting the financial aid award does not represent an agreement to attend the University.  Once all documentation is received and reviewed, you will receive notification of any changes to the student’s preliminary aid award.  Students with no changes to their preliminary aid award will receive an e-mail to the e-mail addresses listed on the FAFSA, indicating that everything on the original award is now finalized.


Q. What if our family has extenuating or unusual circumstances that are not reflected on the FAFSA?

A.  Families who experience a significant change in income, marital status, loss of job, or encounter special circumstances that are affecting their current financial situation may complete the Special Condition/Circumstances Appeal form.  Along with this form, families must provide a detailed factual explanation of the situation along with supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Office.  In some cases the Financial Aid counselor will request additional information in order to perform an accurate evaluation of the circumstances.


Q. If my child receives an outside scholarship must we notify the financial aid office?

A. Yes. Anytime a student receives funds from an outside company, employer, agency, civic group, etc. the student must report it to the UNH Financial Aid Office.  Any outside scholarship will first be used to satisfy unmet need and then be used to replace self-help (federal loans or work-study).  Typically these funds are sent directly to the University on the student’s behalf.  You should forward to the Financial Aid Office, a copy of your award notification from the agency providing the scholarship. In some cases a revision to tuition based  merit scholarships may occur.


Q. Will UNH “match” a financial aid package from another institution?

A. Each institution has its own unique set of awarding criteria that may treat students differently, especially when it comes to awarding institutional financial aid.  UNH and most institutions are not in the practice of matching another school’s financial aid award.


Q. Why did my child not receive Federal Work Study from the University of New Haven?

A. The University of New Haven receives a limited amount of Federal Work Study funding to award to students.  If your child did not receive Federal Work Study as part of their financial aid award they can ask to be added to a Work Study waiting list in the Financial Aid Office once classes begin in the Fall term.  Students may still apply for Bursary positions which are funded through individual departments on campus.  Students should seek out supervisors of departments and their professors to inquire about any available Bursary positions.  Bursary students, like Federal Work Study students are paid via a weekly paycheck for hours they work.  Some Bursary job postings can also be found online on the student’s Blackboard account under the Career Services tab.


Q. How do I pay for the remaining costs above the financial aid that has been offered?

A. Beyond the financial aid listed on the award letter there are additional ways to pay the remainder of your bill. 

1-      Search for outside scholarships through your community, high school, boy/girl scouts and so on to see if there are any opportunities for which you may qualify.  There are also some good websites that help you look for outside scholarships (ex:  More scholarship search sites are listed on our website under financial aid resources.  In addition, if you are near campus you can come into the Financial Aid Office and review the scholarships that have been posted on our bulletin board and in our scholarship binders.

2-      Payment Plan through Tuition Management Systems (TMS).  If you think the remaining costs (or a portion of the remaining costs) would be manageable in the TMS 10-month payment plan then you may visit the Bursar’s Office website to complete the online enrollment form.  Billing and payment plan information can be found on the Bursar’s website at .

3-      Parent PLUS Loan – The Parent is the borrower of this type of loan.  It has a fixed rate of interest and is a federal loan.  Your parent can apply for the parent PLUS loan online at  If a parent is denied for a parent PLUS loan the student is eligible for an additional $4000 (as a freshmen or sophomore) and $5000 (as a junior or senior) in the unsubsidized Direct Student Loan. 

4-      Private Alternative Loan Options – The student is the borrower of this type of loan.  The student will most likely need a credit-worthy cosigner for the loan to be approved. 

5-       Information on both of the Parent Plus loan and Alternative loan options can be found on the Financial Aid webpage under the heading “Loan Options/Paying Your Bill”.


Continuance of Financial Aid

Q. Does my child have to re-apply for financial aid every year?

A. Yes. Financial aid is not automatic and must be reapplied for each year. Families can file the FAFSA each year after October 1 at  The UNH priority date for returning students to submit the FAFSA is January 1st.


Q. Is my child guaranteed financial aid each year?

A. A student’s need is determined for one year at a time and is therefore subject to change from one year to the next.   Students are required to reapply with a new FAFSA and provide the latest tax documentation by the annual deadline each year.  In addition, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress requirements in order to continue to be eligible to receive financial aid each year.  The Financial Aid Office strives to maintain the same award from year to year.  However, there are certain factors that can cause significant change to a financial aid award.  These include: changes in the expected family contributions (EFC), reduction of the number of family members in college/household, change in marital status, moving off campus, going on a study abroad program, and making satisfactory academic progress.

Q. If my child attends a study abroad program through another university will he/she still be eligible for financial aid?

A. Students studying abroad through another educational institution will be eligible for their federal financial aid through a consortium agreement but not institutional financial aid programs such as the UNH Grant award or merit based programs, unless they are an International Scholar as designated by the Study Abroad Office.  For additional information, visit the Study Abroad Office website for the Study Abroad Policies and Full Policy on Financial Aid and Fees for Study Abroad.


Paying Your Bill 

Communication Timeline

Early January              undergraduate spring bills are due to be paid

Late January               1098T tax forms mailed home

Mid February               fall room deposits and residual student account balances due to be paid

Early April                    residual student account balances due to be paid for advanced registration

Early June                   undergraduate fall bills issued

Early July                     undergraduate fall bills due to be paid

Early November          residual student account balances due to be paid for advanced registration

Early December          undergraduate spring bills issued


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why did I not receive a tuition bill in the mail?

A: All UNH tuition bills are processed electronically and can be paid electronically through the ePay system.  Students receive an email at their UNH email account notifying them when a new tuition bill is available for review and payment.  In addition to this, the ePay system is accessible 24/7 in real time so an up to date balance due is always attainable.


Q: How can I access my student’s tuition bill or account activity?

A: Students can create up to five (5) authorized payers in the ePay system.  Once a student does this, the authorized payer will receive emails each time a new bill is ready and will have unlimited access to the ePay system.  It is highly recommended that parents have their student set them up to be an authorized payer on the account.


Q: Can tuition bills be paid monthly instead of once per semester?

A: UNH offers a monthly payment plan through Tuition Management Systems (TMS).  This optional plan allows families to pay their yearly tuition bill in ten (10) monthly installments instead of once per semester.  Additional specific information about the monthly payment plan can be found on the Bursar’s Office website.


Q: If I utilize the monthly payment plan, will I still receive bills from UNH?

A: You will still be billed by UNH.  Since the payments you make to TMS that are due on the first of each month are wired to UNH at the end of each month, there will be a delay in posting TMS payments to your student’s account.  In addition, if your scheduled monthly payments are not enough to pay your bill in full, you will be expected to either increase your monthly payments or make a direct payment to UNH for the difference.

In addition to charges for tuition, housing and the meal plan, there are charges I do not understand.  Please explain the general student fee and the tuition O/T day fee.

The general fee provides a partial contribution supporting essential infrastructure, facilities and institutional services necessary to promote student learning. This fee covers access to infirmary and counseling services and it supports student government and club activities. In addition, this fee supports technology infrastructure initiatives including, but not limited to, networks, electronic information resources, computer laboratories and smart technology classrooms. This fee also covers facility enhancements and other administrative services such as providing academic transcripts. The general fee is charged for each semester in which a student enrolls. 

The tuition O/T day fee is assessed if a student exceeds 17 credits in a semester.  Each credit over 17 is charged a per credit tuition charge based on the applicable rates for that particular year.


Q: What is a tuition differential and what is a lab fee?

A: Tuition differentials and lab fees are additional charges related to a specific course.  If a certain course is more expensive to operate, requires a travel component such as attending a concert or a play, or requires the use of unique equipment such as a special telescope or scientific device, one of these fees would apply.  Since these charges are related to specific courses, you may see them one semester and not another.  The fees are based on the courses your student is registered for.


Q: What do I need to pay?  I did not get a bill.

A:  Students receive information by email –the parent does not receive a copy of the bill unless the student forwards the information to the parent or the student provides online access to their bill.


Q: How can I pay a tuition bill?
A: Personal checks may be mailed directly to the Bursar's Office in Bergami Hall. Electronic checks (ACH payments) can be processed online through epay as well. UNH accepts credit and debit card payments online only through epay and all card payments are subject to a 2.7% service fee. Cash payments are accepted in the office.

Q: What happens if I pay my bill late?

A: UNH assesses monthly late fees of 1% of the remaining unpaid balance.


General Questions

Q. Who should we contact if I or my child has additional questions regarding financial aid?

A. The Financial Aid Office is located in Bergami Hall, Room 118B, and is open from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday-Friday.  During the summer, the office is open from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday – Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM.  You may contact the Financial Aid Office by phone, (203) 932-7315 or toll-free at 1-800-DIAL-UNH, ext.7315.  We are also available through email at


Communication Timeline

October                      The FAFSA is available for completion online at

January 1                    UNH priority FAFSA deadline for returning students

March  1                      UNH priority FAFSA  deadline for new/transfer students

March – April               New/Transfer Students receive preliminary financial aid awards

April – May 1               Tax returns and Verification Worksheet due for new/transfer students and those selected for Verification

April – August              New/Transfer Students receive final award letters after submission of needed documents

June – July                  Continuing students receive their financial aid awards

June – August             Students and Parents apply for Private and Parent PLUS Loans to cover their remaining balance