Dell laptop computers are available for currently registered University of New Haven students, faculty, and staff to use within the Library. A current UNH picture ID is required.
Each laptop has the Microsoft Office Suite and SPSS. Laptops automatically connect to the UNH campus network when booted up. Laptops are able to print to the Pharos printing system in the Library. All of your work should be saved to a flash drive or e-mailed to your account because any saved items will be erased when the laptop is shut down.
You can also charge out a power cord and mouse to use with the Library Laptop. These are only available for use within the Library and only in conjunction with a Library Laptop.
There are several conditions regarding the use of these laptops, which are noted below.
- Library laptops may not leave the building for any reason.
- A replacement fee in the amount of $2,000 will be applied for laptops lost or stolen while checked out to you. We advise you not to leave Library laptops unattended or to lend them to friends.
- You are responsible for any damages incurred to the laptop while charged out to you. Information Services will assess damage and decide on the appropriate fees to charge. Borrowers should report damages at the time of return. Damages not disclosed at the time of return will still result in charges to the borrower's account.
Laptops circulate for 3 hours.
Overdue fines are $12/ hour prorated to 20 cents/minute.
At the end of the 3-hour loan period laptops may be "renewed" at the Circulation Desk. This can only be done if no other patrons are waiting to use a Library Laptop.
You must return the laptop directly to a library staff member at the Circulation Desk and wait until the laptop has been checked in. A return receipt can be requested at that time.
Laptops must be returned ½ hour before the Library closes.
The clock at the Circulation Desk will be used to determine the due time of the laptop.
Only 1 laptop can be charged out at a time
Be courteous and don't occupy a seat at a desktop workstation while using the laptop.
Laptops are circulated on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be reserved.
Any items saved to Library Laptops will be erased when the laptop is shut down.
Laptops fall under the Library's Electronic Services Access Policy.
- Irresponsible use of a laptop may result in the loss of borrower's privileges.
- Power cords and mice circulate for 3 hours and may be renewed if no one else is waiting to charge them out.
- The replacement fee for lost power cords and mice is $10.00. The overdue fines are for power cords and mice is $12/hour prorated to 20 cents/minute.
To use a Library laptop see a staff member at the Circulation Desk. You will be asked to read and sign an agreement form. Library staff can answer any questions you may have about the policies and procedures regarding library laptops. For questions please call 203.932.7197.
This page was last updated on March 12, 2010.