Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Policy on Modifications to Housing and Dining

Modified Housing/Dining Policy

The University of New Haven strives to provide the best housing and dietary arrangements to suit the particular needs of our students. A variety of housing and dining options currently exist for that purpose, but we recognize that there are circumstances where particular requests and accommodations may need to be considered. This policy is created for that purpose. 

Students needing consideration for modified housing/dining options, specific types of rooms (e.g. single room, double room), access to specific facilities/equipment within a room (e.g. bathroom or cooking facilities, roll-in or transfer showers), or use of alternatives due to a medical condition (e.g. air conditioning) should complete Modified Housing/Dining Requests by the deadlines outlined in the procedures below. Requests for modifications are carefully evaluated by the ADA/504 Committee.

 A student requesting modified dining options must first meet with the University of New Haven’s Director of Dining Services/Executive Chef to discuss their specific dietary issues, for a determination as to whether Dining Services can meet their needs.  A Modified Dining Options Meeting Form must be completed at this meeting.  The form must be submitted by Dining Services with the appropriate signature in order for the student's Modifications to Housing/Dining Packet to Campus Access Services to be considered complete.  The form and packet must be submitted by the deadlines below.

Modified Housing/Dining Procedures

Application Process:

To begin the evaluation process, students must submit a completed request for Modifications to Housing and/or Dining Options packet to the Campus Access Services office no later than the date(s) shown below.

The packet includes the following:

1. Modifications to Housing and/or Dining Options Form Student's Section upon which the student has specified a requested accommodation, has included a clear description of what type of housing configuration and/or dining option is being requested, an explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition, and any possible alternatives if the requested housing configuration/dining option is not possible.

2. Health Care Provider Verification Form documenting the condition and functional limitations that are the basis of the request. 

3. Completed Intake Form for Modified Housing/Dining.

4. ADA/504 Committee Release of Information Form.

5. (For students requesting modified dining) Completed Modified Dining Options Meeting Form.

The Modified Housing/Dining Packet forms can be found under the Forms for New Students/Requests Tab of the Campus Access Services web page on the University's website.

Once a student has been approved for a housing/dining modification, they will meet with the Assistant Director of Residential Life to discuss their housing assignment and/or meal plan.  Specific residence halls, room types and/or meal plan options are not guaranteed.

All Requests for modifications to the meal plan, including appeals, must be completed by the posted deadline, excepting diagnosis of a condition after the deadline.

Application Deadlines:

Modified Housing

New Students:  The entire Modified Housing/Dining Packet should be submitted to the Campus Access Services office by June 15 prior to the start of the Fall semester and by January 10 prior to the start of Spring semester. Any request received after the June 15 and January 10 deadlines will be tabled until the next meeting of the ADA/504 Committee excepting emergencies such as conditions diagnosed after the deadlines.

For Returning Students Making New Requests:  Students should also submit the entire Modified Housing/Dining Packet to the Campus Access Services office by the January 10 deadline prior to the start of the Spring semester. Students making requests for the following Fall semester must submit their completed packet by February 3. Any request not received by the deadline will be tabled until the following semester's meeting of the Committee excepting emergencies.

Modified Dining:

For New and Returning Students: The entire Modified Housing/Dining Packet, including the Modified Dining Options Meeting Form, should be submitted to the Campus Access Services office by September 7 for the Fall semester and by February 3 for the Spring semester. Any requests received after the September 7th and February 3rd deadlines will be tabled until the following semester.

Meetings will be held to hear requests completed by the deadlines within 10 business days of the deadline, and students will be notified of the outcomes shortly thereafter.

Incomplete Requests:

Incomplete requests will automatically be tabled and will not be presented for committee vote.  Students will be notified that their cases have been tabled pending receipt of missing information/documents.

Requests that include documentation that has been completed by someone other tan an appropriate professional as designated in the University's documentation guidelines will automatically be tabled and will not be presented for committee vote.  Students will be notified that their cases have been tabled pending receipt of missing information/documents.

Requests Submitted After the Deadline:

Requests submitted after the deadline will not be heard until the next meeting date. 

In order to continue to receive Modified Housing/Dining:

Once a student has been approved for Modified Housing/Dining, they must notify Campus Access Services of the intention to retain Modified Housing/Dining accommodations. An email will be sent to all students who have approved accommodations, to which they must reply by the specified deadline.

The deadline for renewing accommodations for the upcoming Fall semester is February 3 (in order for the request to be reviewed and approved prior to the start of the Room Selection Process).  

Notification should be completed as early as possible as some students may be required to submit updated documentation, and documentation must also be received by the February 3 deadline in order for the renewal to be considered. 

In addition, students approved for modified housing must have submitted their Room Selection Deposit and completed their Housing License Agreement by the published deadline.  Depending on the housing modification approved, a student may have the opportunity to request a roommate(s).  Intended roommates must also have submitted their Room Selection Deposit and completed their Housing License Agreement by the published deadline.  Students must have affirmed their intent to live in residential housing in order to make a request a request to modify housing.

The Appeal Process:

Requests for modified housing and/or dining options will be reviewed by the ADA/504 Committee and a letter will be sent to the student confirming or denying the request.  If the request is denied, students have the option to appeal the decision the following way:

Appeal the decision with additional medical documentation for reconsideration.  New documentation should be forwarded to the Campus Access Services office. The ADA/504 Committee will review the case and reconsider the decision based on this new information.

**Appeals related to modified dining options MUST be received by September 14 for the Fall semester, and by February 14 for the Spring semester in order to be processed by the 5th week of the semester.

Requests for Use of an Air Conditioner due to Medical Reasons:

* Students approved for the use of an air conditioner will either be placed in a residence hall with central air conditioning or in a room/suite/apartment where a student's air conditioner may be installed by a University Facilities staff member. Placements will be at the discretion of the Office of Residential Life based on availability.

If a student is granted permission for use of an air conditioner and is not assigned to an air conditioned residence hall, students will have the option of providing their own air conditioner. If a student chooses to bring an air conditioner, they will receive a letter stating what type/size air conditioner will be appropriate based on their particular room assignment.

The Facilities Department will be given a list of where those air conditioners will be located so that they can create the necessary components for installation of the air conditioners as well as to facilitate scheduling of installations in a timely manner. If a student who has been approved for use of an air conditioner needs assistance with their air conditioning installation, the Facilities Department will be available the first two weeks of school to assist with installations. Installations of air conditioners will only be provided for students who have been documented through the Campus Access Services office and have been approved by the ADA/504 Committee. All air conditioners must be installed within two weeks of the start of school.

*Unless documented by a physician for prolonged use and approved by the ADA/504 Committee, all air conditioners must be removed from residence hall rooms by November 1. They may be reinstalled on or after March 15.

Students who request air conditioners for the spring semester (through the Campus Access Service office) may access the modified housing request packet online and follow the procedures noted above. Applications for modified housing must be submitted by the January 10 deadline in order to be considered by the ADA/504 Committee.  Any requests received after January 10 will be tabled until the ADA/504 Committee meets to hear fall semester requests, excepting emergencies (e.g. conditions diagnosed after the deadline). Air conditioner requests approved for the spring semester can be installed on or after March 15, unless otherwise noted by physician documentation and approved by the Committee.

Emergency Requests and Late Requests

Modified Housing

Emergency requests for modified housing received after the deadlines listed above or during the course of a semester will be given consideration only with the acknowledgement by the student that specific requests for room accommodation may not be possible in the middle of an academic year due to the majority of students being assigned a room for the fall in which they continue for the full academic year.  Late requests may result in delay, substitution, or denial of accommodation.

Modified Dining

Requests for modified dining received after the deadlines listed above will generally not be given consideration for the current semester. Late requests, excepting emergencies (e.g. conditions diagnosed after the deadline), will result in requests not being considered until the following semester.