What should I do the event of a mental health emergency?
- Call the Counseling Center (203.932.7332) for emergencies during regular office hours:
School Year: Mondays to Fridays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Summer: Tuesdays to Thursdays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Call Campus Police (203.932.7070) for emergencies after hours, when the counseling center is closed.
- Dial 9-1-1 for emergencies when you are away from campus, or visit your nearest hospital.
Hospital of Saint Raphael: 203.789.3464
Yale - New Haven Hospital: 203.688.2222
What if it's not an emergency, but I'm really upset?
At times of distress that do not reach the level of a crisis or emergency, you can call a toll-free hotline. Consult our Hotlines page for listings. Other things you can do to help you cope with distress include:
- Talking to a friend, family member, or trusted clergy member
- Writing in a journal
- Practicing relaxation techniques
- Listening to soothing music
- Exercising, preferably out of doors if weather permits
- Taking a "mindful" walk
- Watching a movie