Students with degrees in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) will first apply for the regular 12 month period of OPT. Then, once you have begun your first 12 months of OPT, if you meet the criteria as mentioned by the USCIS (see new immigration regulations), you can apply through the ISO office for your 17 month OPT extension. You must file before your current OPT expires, however those students that have filed a timely application will be permitted to continue employment while extension application is pending until a final decision or 180 days, whichever comes first. The earliest you can file for the STEM extension is 90 days before your current OPT expires.
To Apply -
Bring, mail, fax, or e-mail the following to the International Services Office:
Copy of completed Form I-765
(Note: Line 16 in the form I-765 should be completed as follows: (C)(3)(C); Complete line 17 with your Employer's name and E- Verify number. Employer name is company name, not supervisor's name.)
Copy of current EAD card
Copy of Offer Letter for your e-verified employer
University of New Haven
International Services Office
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT, 06516
Telephone: (203) 932-7475
Fax: (203) 932-6054
Your New I-20
The ISO will prepare a new I-20 for you. In most cases, your I-20 will be ready in 1-2 weeks. We will notify you via e-mail or by phone once it is ready. If you are located close to UNH, you may come to ISO to pick it up or you may send a friend to pick it up for you. If you are located far away from UNH, create an account at www.fedex.com/us and e-mail us shipping label.
With your new I-20 you will receive a checklist of the documents, in order, that need to be included in the application you will mail to USCIS. The documents are also listed below.
How to mail your application to USCIS:
Use a clip to keep the documents together and create a packet in the following order (top to bottom):
- Check or money order for $380 payable to Department of Homeland Security
- Two (2) Passport size photographs with your name and I-94 number printed in pencil on back
- Completed I-765 form
- Copy of pages 1 and 3 of your new STEM extension I-20 (Do not send the original! Make sure you sign your new I-20 before making a copy.)
- Copies of previous I-20s
- Copy of your current EAD card (OPT Card)
- Job offer letter
- Copy of passport, visa and front/back of I-94 card
- Copy of transcripts
- Copy of diploma
Mail the completed OPT application packet to the USCIS Service Center that corresponds to the state where you live ( see page 10 on I-765 instructions). We recommend any USPS (United States Postal Service) that provides a receipt or tracking number.
Must report to the International Services Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 10 days of any change of:
- Legal name
- Residential or mailing address
- Employer name
- Employer address, and/or
- Loss of employment
- Must make a validation report to the DSO every six months starting from the date the extension begins and ending when the student's F-1 status ends, the student changes educational levels at the same school, the student transfers to another school, or the 17-month OPT extension ends, whichever is first. The validation is a confirmation that the student's name and address, employer name and address, and/or loss of employment is correct. The report is due to the DSO within 10 business days of each reporting date.
*Please send a copy of your new EAD card to the ISO after you receive it!