Definition of Hazardous Materials: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) define a hazardous material as any substance or chemical which has been determined to be either a health hazard or a physical hazard.
Hazardous materials include but are not limited to chemicals which are:
The accidental spill of hazardous material must be handled by qualified personnel only. Employees and students must contact Campus Police (203-932-7070) immediately to report a spill and follow the below steps.
- Do not attempt to clean-up a hazardous material spill.
- Instruct the others in the immediate area to vacate the contaminated area immediately and report the predetermined muster point. Upon leaving the contaminated area, close doors and if possible prevent entry into the area.
- Inform Campus Police of the location of the spill and if possible the chemical spilled and the amount that was spilled by dialing (203) 932-7070.
- If possible remove ignition sources and unplug electrical equipment in the immediate area. Do so only if you are not in danger.
- If student(s) or employee(s) have been exposed to a hazardous material, they should be instructed to remove contaminated clothing immediately and be directed to the nearest safety shower/eye wash station and the affected area should be rinsed for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- If student(s) or employee(s) are injured move the victim from the immediate area if this can be done without further injury to you or the victim.
- Await direction from Campus Police or other emergency personnel and Facilities.
- Do not make entry into the contaminated area until the all clear sign has been given from Campus Police.