Elevator entrapment/malfunctioning elevator
- Open elevator phone box and pick-up receiver (if available). This will signal a call to Campus Police. You can use your cell phone to contact campus police as well (203-932-7070).
- Remain Calm. DO NOT ever try to force open elevator doors.
- Campus Police or the Fire Department may be able to talk to you via the intercom, if one is provided, or via your cell phone.
- Provide the following information:
- Give your name.
- Total number of people in the elevator.
- Report any injuries, medical conditions and/or disabilities.
- Report which floor you might be on.
During power failure
- Remain Calm
- Open elevator phone box and pick-up receiver.
- If the phone does not work, push the button for the bell. This will signal others around you that there is someone in the elevator.
- Use your cell phone to contact campus police (203-932-7070).
- Wait for emergency personnel to rescue you.
- Once you get off the elevator, do not get back on until the power has been fully restored.
During fire/smoke or an emergency condition
- Elevators may automatically be returned to designated floors where they will park with the doors open.
- If you are not taken to the ground floor, use the stairwell to reach the first floor.
During Flooding/Water leaks/Bomb Threat/ Explosion/Severe Weather/Earthquake
- Never attempt to use an elevator during any of these conditions. Use the stairwells ONLY for exiting the building. Elevators may stop and become inoperative at any time.