The University of New Haven is making a commitment to promote a sustainable future for generations to come. The following list of UNH initiatives is not meant to be an exhaustive list of everything that UNH is doing on a campus-wide basis, but does provide some insight into recent steps taken by the University of New Haven, its students, faculty and staff.
- Students at the University of New Haven have established two sustainability related groups. The Green Team and the USGA Sustainability Committee will focus on focus on creating new green initiatives for students on campus and promote green efforts through various on- and off-campus events.
- The American Society of Interior Designers student chapter is working to establish a student sustainability committee to work with faculty and staff on furthering green initiatives on campus.
- Sustainability Studies Degree Program
While not a day goes by that we hear the word sustainability through various modes of media, very few people have the educational background to grasp the interactions between the environment, economy, and society, let alone make significant changes that can alter the current global course of action. The goal of the Sustainability Studies Program at UNH is to create synergies for sustainable solutions by providing a strong background on the three pillars of sustainability: environment, economy, and society.
- Minor in Sustainability Studies
Students who are enrolled to other degree programs but wish to gain insights on how they can incorporate sustainability principles in their field can opt to earn a Minor in Sustainability Studies by taking five courses from a predetermined list. These courses are from different disciplines to accommodate students from different backgrounds and with different interests.
- EAS 300, Global Solutions for Sustainability
The course will introduce a wide variety of sustainability concepts and applications and examine the effects of engineered systems on the global environment. The course will take a multidisciplinary approach, implementing team-based work with hands-on projects, as well as lectures from expert guest speakers. The course counts for CC 5.2 Global Perspective elective and CC 2.3 Analysis and Problem Solving elective. This class is also offered as an Honors course.
- UNH Awarded State Grant for Biodiesel Research
UNH expanded its own biodiesel research, examining the viability of algae from Long Island Sound as a fuel resource
- Interior Design students address sustainable design
Students taking the ID412 Interior Design VI course will focus on sustainable and green design and historic preservation.
- UNH Awarded Recycling Grant
- The Sustainability Committee of the University of New Haven submitted a grant request for recycling bins through the National Recycling Coalition/Coca-Cola Bin Grant Program, and was one of only 85 grant recipients chosen to receive recycling bins for the campus.
- The bins were strategically located campus wide during the Winter 2009 semester.
- Campus Shuttle Services
- UNH has implemented a wide-ranging shuttle service for students, faculty and staff
- Carpool to UNH
- The University of New Haven encourages all students, faculty, and staff to consider public transportation and other alternative forms of transportation to and from campus.
- Connect by Hertz
- Connect by Hertz is a car sharing program now offered at UNH. See the link above for more information.
USGBC Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Registered Projects
- Soundview Residence Hall
- The University of New Haven is calculating its current carbon output as a benchmark to help initiate a green house gas reduction strategic plan on campus. Full details of the carbon footprint can be seen here.
Energy Usage Reduction
- During the summer of 2008, UNH upgraded its lighting infrastructure in 11 buildings on campus.
- UNH has the capability to quantify energy usage for individual buildings on campus through separate metering devices making it easier to pinpoint problem areas
- UNH Office of Residential Life Sustainability Plan