Language Immersion Opportunities

We give our language students unique opportunities to engage in valuable interactions with local cultural or social-action groups. 

Opening Day during Prato Campus Week, UNH Tuscany students and staff welcomed visitors and shared information about the Campus and the University.

Some of our students have used their Spanish to tutor ESL (English As a Second Language) students in Fair Haven and when participating in local community events such as Día de los Muertos parades.

Others, studying Arabic and Spanish, use their language skills while working with community service organizations.  One of these organizations is City Seed, which coordinates farmer's markets in New Haven and encourages low-income Arabic- and Spanish-speaking residents to take advantage of the opportunity to eat healthier foods.

We also frequently arrange opportunities for immersion experiences through study abroad programs, which enable robust proficiency levels.

You may be interested to know that students studying critical languages, such as Arabic, have a greater chance of receiving certain grants and scholarships — the Critical Language Scholarship and the Boren Scholarship, to name two.  Other International Study Abroad scholarships are also available.