Enhancing Safety and Security on Campus
With the LiveSafe app, you have a fast and direct connection to the University of New Haven Police Department, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Not just for emergencies, the app can help you — and us — be more pro-active in keeping everyone in our community safer.
Please note: LiveSafe replaces all previous public safety apps for the University of New Haven, and is available to both students and family members, as well as employees.
Get to know LiveSafe’s features:
- See something? Say something. Does something look suspicious to you? Share that through the "Report Suspicious Activity" feature. You can attach a photo, video, or audio file. Do it anonymously, if you wish.
- Something already happened? The "Report Incident" feature allows you to quickly and easily submit a report with just a few taps.
- You or someone else is in serious trouble? The "Emergency Options" feature allows University police to pinpoint your location more quickly. The UPD can also engage in a real-time text conversation with you in order to gather crucial details about what’s happening.
- Want to know exactly where you are? The Safety Map tells you where you stand in relation to University buildings, places of safety, and more.
- Want a virtual guardian angel? Feel safer walking alone at night with the SafeWalk feature, which is a peer-to-peer virtual escort tool that allows permitted friends or family to follow your location through the app or on a secured website. If you don’t arrive at your intended location, they can contact you to ensure you’re safe or use your last-known location to contact emergency personnel.
- Looking for more resources? The Resources feature gives you fast access to phone numbers, just-in-time training, and emergency procedures.
How Do I Sign-Up?
LiveSafe is a free mobile safety app made available by University of New Haven Public Safety and is easy and quick to use! Download the LiveSafe mobile app in iTunes or the Google Play store.
Select "University of New Haven" as the school / agency and fill out your user profile.
Who may use the LiveSafe app?
The app is available as a free download for all University of New Haven students, faculty and staff. In addition, parents may download LiveSafe to receive timely alerts and notifications.
What kinds of information should I report?
University of New Haven students, faculty and staff are encouraged to use the LiveSafe app to communicate with University of New Haven Police about any issues, concerns or questions related to campus safety and security. The app may be used to inquire about policies and best practices for getting help for a friend, reporting vandalism, suspicious activity or any other issue related to conduct and well-being.
Who receives my reports and information?
Information submitted is monitored 24/7 by the University of New Haven Police. In case campus safety requires further information on any report, the Police will follow-up and live chat with the user. For issues that require involvement by other University offices, the University Police will contact the appropriate offices and personnel.
What happens if I send a report in the wrong category?
University of New Haven Police can easily re-categorize reports, so users don't need to worry if they mistakenly select the wrong category. If you are unsure which category the report falls into, select "Other".
Do I have to provide picture, video, or audio evidence?
No. While users are encouraged to provide picture, audio or video evidence when sending in reports, they are only advised to do so if the circumstances are safe.
What if a report I send turns out to be a mistake?
Users will not be penalized for making claims that turn out to be untrue. So long as reports aren't purposefully and falsely claimed, people are encouraged to share information with police.
How does the anonymous feature work?
Users can send in tip reports using the anonymous feature if they are not comfortable with disclosing their identity. University of New Haven Police will not be able to see who the report is coming from if this is activated.
Does LiveSafe replace 911?
No. When faced with an emergency situation, LiveSafe recommends and promotes dialing 911. The aim of the LiveSafe app is to provide a new channel to report non-emergency information and crimes to the University of New Haven Police Department.
If in an emergency situation (on- or off-campus), LiveSafe has a 911 distress button. When calling 911 using LiveSafe, University of New Haven Police will receive greater information and intelligence in order to provide assistance faster. University of New Haven Police will receive the caller's GPS coordinates and emergency contact information; ensuring dispatchers respond more efficiently and quickly.
What will you do with my data?
LiveSafe respects the privacy of individuals and law enforcement agencies. Data will only be analyzed in aggregate form once individual information is scrubbed and anonymized. Evidence information belongs solely to the law enforcement agency for which it was designated.