Ready to find your way in a multibillion dollar industry?
We’ve create a unique program that will enable you to gain a well-rounded, holistic, and scientific understanding of esports and gaming.
We’ll prepare you to excel in this ever-evolving industry that comprises game publishers, athletes, coaches, trainers, publicists, broadcasters, the media platforms the games are streamed on, brands that sponsor the teams, and, of course, the fans.
Unlike traditional sports, which play by rules universally accepted by athletes and fans, esports rules are developed by the game publishers and can change at any given time. What might be a hit this year can drop out of sight next year.
Since new technologies and games are always just around the corner, the industry requires people who can think critically and anticipate future cultural, business, and technological changes and opportunities. That’s you.
We Prepare You to Compete
Building on our highly regarded sport management program — which has always been housed in our College of Business and has graduated more than one thousand alums, who range from professional team executives and college athletic directors to league commissioners — we created a truly interdisciplinary program that enables you to discover the nearly limitless opportunities in esports and gaming.
From the management and business side to technology, game development, broadcasting, and media rights to actually competing professionally – you’ll be able to pursue a career you are passionate about.
Pick an interdisciplinary concentration
What makes our program in Esports and Gaming unique is its truly interdisciplinary nature. In addition to core classes in businesses, our unique concentrations enable you to take courses in the School of Health Sciences, Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, and Tagliatela College of Engineering.
- Corruption and Gambling Concentration: You’ll learn to evaluate how competitors are coerced to behave corruptly and how to explain the effects of organized crime on gambling in esports.
- Game Studies Concentration: You’ll learn how to develop a game narrative using contemporary gaming techniques and how to analyze games for dimensions of social responsibility.
- Esports Performance and Health Concentration: You’ll learn to assess health factors that impact esports participants’ overall potential performance and how to implement behavioral strategies that promote health among esports competitors.
Be part of a vibrant community of gamers
Our Esports Club has more than 200 members, and we are developing a 1,300 square-foot esports training and competition center in our new $35 million Bergami Center for Science, Technology, and Innovation.
You’ll have the chance to be part of a growing community of gamers and have access to a state-of-the-art facility that will host esports competitions and enable you to compete at the highest level and gain hands-on technical and operational experience.
The job outlook is epic
HitmarkerJobs.com, a company based in the UK, has reported that in the first six months of 2019, the number of paid jobs in esports increased more than 210% from the first six months of 2018. Furthermore, an article in VentureBeat.com reports that more than half of all esports jobs are located in the U.S., with California having the biggest share of them, followed by Washington, and New York.
Choose your path in esports
We offer a variety of innovative ways to pursue your passion in this high-growth field:
- Our interdisciplinary major in esports and gaming provides a holistic and well-rounded understanding of these multi-billion dollar industries
- Our esports management concentration as part of our business management major is the first such program in the country accredited by AACSB, the leading accrediting organization for business schools
- Our programs in cybersecurity & networks and computer science enable you study the technical side of the field
- You can also join a vibrant community of gamers through our Esports Club or compete on our varsity esports team
A master’s degree program in esports and technology, the first such graduate program in the U.S., is also in development. To be notified when this program is ready for inquiries and applications, fill out this short form, and we’ll email you.
Learn from professors who are dedicated to your success.
Our faculty are leaders and innovators in their fields, bringing both deep professional experience and academic rigor to the classroom.
- Esports Basics
- Esports Business
- Introduction to Business Analytics
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Business Finance Principles of Marketing
- Management and Organization
- Business Capstone
- Operations Management
- Multinational Management
- Management of Sports Industries
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Event Management
The University of New Haven offers a wide variety of in-depth courses that create a transformational educational experience for our students. To view the complete list of courses you'll take while pursuing a Bachelor of Science in ESports and Gaming click here.
Nationally Recognized Center for Career Development
All University of New Haven students have access to the many resources available through the University’s Career Development Center, which has been named one of the best in the nation by The Princeton Review.
From career assessments, networking, and job shadowing to on-campus interviews and salary negotiation, the Career Development Center provides the skills and connections to identify a meaningful career and an opportunity to pursue your passion.Learn More
Gaming and Esports
University of New Haven Announces HyperX as the Official Peripheral Partner of Gaming and Esports Program
Through a collaboration with HyperX, the sponsor of some of the world’s top esports organizations, the University of New Haven will receive state-of-the-art gaming peripherals, and students will have the opportunity to interact with company executives and participate in HyperX product focus groups and the testing of the company’s newest offerings.
Whether you're still in high school or are transferring from another college, we offer full- and part-time opportunities for undergraduates from inside the U.S. and abroad. The admission process can begin as early as the end of your high school junior year.
The Application Process
We offer a comprehensive financial aid program, with students receiving assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, student loans, and part-time employment. Funds are available from federal and state governments, private sponsors, and from university resources. More than 85 percent of the University's full-time undergraduate students receive some form of financial assistance.