Ready to find your way in a multibillion dollar industry?
We have created a unique program that enables you to gain a well-rounded, holistic, and pertinent education in the world of esports and gaming. We will prepare you to excel in this ever-evolving industry, which comprises game publishers, athletes, coaches, trainers, publicists, broadcasters, the media platforms the games are streamed on, brands that sponsor the teams, and, of course, the fans.
Our academic partnerships with major esports and gaming entities such as Twitch and HyperX ensure that you’re at the cutting edge of industry trends and learning. Since new technologies and games are always just around the corner, the industry requires people who can think critically and anticipate future cultural, business, and technological changes and opportunities. That’s you.
We Prepare You to Compete
Expanding upon our highly regarded sport management program — which has always been housed in our Pompea College of Business and has graduated more than one thousand alums, who range from professional team executives and college athletic directors to league commissioners — we have implemented a truly interdisciplinary program that is designed to give you industry-specific competencies in strategic planning, project management, market research, entrepreneurship, and more.
From management to business technology and game development to broadcasting, you’ll be able to pursue a career you are passionate about.
Pick an interdisciplinary concentration
What makes our program in Esports and Gaming unique is its truly interdisciplinary nature. In addition to core classes in businesses, our unique concentrations enable you to take courses in the School of Health Sciences, the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, and the Tagliatela College of Engineering.
- Corruption and Gambling Concentration. You will learn to evaluate how competitors are coerced into behaving corruptly and how to explain the effects of organized crime on gambling in esports.
- Game Studies Concentration: You will learn how to develop a game narrative using contemporary gaming techniques and how to analyze games for dimensions of social responsibility.
- Esports Performance and Health Concentration. You will learn to assess health factors that impact esports participants’ overall potential performance and how to implement behavioral strategies that promote health among esports competitors.
Be part of a vibrant community of gamers
Our Esports Club has more than 200 members, and our Esports varsity team competes across most major esports titles.
Stoking that competitive spirit even more, we created a 1,300 square-foot esports training and competition center named The Stable. The Stable is a focal point in our brand new $35 million Bergami Center for Science, Technology, and Innovation. This center, which houses cutting edge gaming stations equipped with powerful Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics cards, 240hz monitors and HyperX peripherals, is used by the university's varsity esports teams and esports club.
The Stable gives you the chance to be part of a growing community of gamers and have access to a state-of-the-art facility that will host esports competitions, enable you to compete at the highest level, and gain hands-on technical and operational experience.
The job outlook is epic
HitmarkerJobs.com, a company based in the UK, has reported an 87% increase in the total number of esports jobs from 2018 to 2019. Of that increase, paid esports went up an impressive 111%, and full-time employment increased 118%.
Esports is expected to continue its massive growth rate. Businessinsider.com has reported that total esports viewership is predicted to grow at a 9% compound annual growth rate. Between the years 2019 to 2023, it is expected to grow from 454 million to 646 million, according to Insider Intelligence estimates.
Choose your path in esports
We offer a variety of innovative ways to pursue your passion in this high-growth field:
- Our interdisciplinary major in esports and gaming provides a holistic and well-rounded understanding of these multi-billion dollar industries.
- Our esports management concentration as part of our business management major is the first such program in the country accredited by AACSB, the leading accrediting organization for business schools.
- Our Master of Science in Esports Business, taught by renowned faculty and industry leaders, is the first graduate program of its kind in North America and the first 100% online program of its kind worldwide.
- Our programs in cybersecurity & networks and computer science enable you study the technical side of the field.
- You can also join a vibrant community of gamers through our Esports Club or compete on our varsity esports team.
Envision Your Future
The information below is designed to show the many possible careers you could pursue with your major. The research is provided by Encoura, the leading research and advisory firm focused exclusively on higher education. It includes median national salaries and industry growth projections over the next decade. Click here to view the full report.
8% Growth 2021-2030
Personal Services Managers
7% Growth 2021-2030
Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
17% Growth 2021-2030
- Esports Basics
- Esports Business
- Introduction to Business Analytics
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Business Finance Principles of Marketing
- Management and Organization
- Business Capstone
- Operations Management
- Multinational Management
- Management of Sports Industries
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Event Management
Full List of Courses and Learning Outcomes for Esports and Gaming
The University of New Haven offers a wide variety of in-depth courses that create a transformational educational experience for our students. To view the complete list of courses you'll take while pursuing a Bachelor of Science in ESports and Gaming click here.
Esports and Gaming, General Concentration, B.S.
Esports and Gaming, Game Studies Concentration, B.S.
Esports and Gaming, Esports Performance and Health Concentration, B.S.
Esports and Gaming, Corruption and Gambling Concentration, B.S.
NEW! Online Program
Earn a master's degree from the convenience of home with our new 100% online M.S. in Esports Business program.View Program
Learn from professors who are dedicated to your success.
Our faculty are leaders and innovators in their fields, bringing both deep professional experience and academic rigor to the classroom.
Get an inside look at what differentiates the University of New Haven and how your experiences as a student will prepare you for success.
Nationally Recognized Center for Career Development
All University of New Haven students have access to the many resources available through the University’s Career Development Center, which has been named one of the best in the nation by The Princeton Review.
From career assessments, networking, and job shadowing to on-campus interviews and salary negotiation, the Career Development Center provides the skills and connections to identify a meaningful career and an opportunity to pursue your passion.Learn More
The Charger Blog
Esports Students Lead the Charge at Prominent Conference
Whether they were helping to manage the event or serving as panelists, several Chargers took the lead at the College Esports Expo in Boston this spring. They say it was a 'tremendous' opportunity to gain industry experience while connecting with professionals and fellow esports enthusiasts.
- Information Sessions and Campus Tours 10 a.m. or 1 p.m.
Saturday, June 10
- Undergraduate Open House 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Whether you're still in high school or are transferring from another college, we offer full- and part-time opportunities for undergraduates from inside the U.S. and abroad. The admission process can begin as early as the end of your high school junior year.
The Application Process
Financial Aid Opportunities
We offer a comprehensive financial aid program, with students receiving assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, student loans, and part-time employment. Funds are available from federal and state governments, private sponsors, and from university resources. More than 85 percent of the University's full-time undergraduate students receive some form of financial assistance.